Re: Solar for 08 View 24J

Dale Lucas

Hi Tony,
Our first Skinnie Winnie was an 07J.
We put one 250w monocrystal panel mounted between the wing things with 10 gauge wire down the forward end of the fridge vent.  Wired directly to the inverter under the fridge, connecting to the same lugs used for couch batteries.  Super easy when the fridge isn't in the slide.
The panel we used is from Grape Solar, purchased from Home Depot.  Grape Solar also has excellent mppt controllers.
On our current 12 J we did the small only with a different wire routing.  This time we added a second panel for a total of about 409 watts (after some klipping from the 2 panels not being an exact match).
Grape Solar has been very helpful over the phone.   They will consult about panel type,  controller size and wire gauge.  Home Depot has good prices and will ship free to you.
I suggest 400 watts + - right from the start.
Lots of discussion in this group about roof mounting.   I used the 3M tape and made mounts from 2 x 2 x 1/8 aluminum angle full length down the sides.
BTW,  the Duracell 6-Volt Batteries are available in at least 3 amperages with a 4th even taller one.   They are all the same length and width just different heights,  see batteries plus website.
Dale
12 J
Las Cruces,  NM

On Thu, Aug 6, 2020 at 10:27 PM, tony martin via groups.io
<xtmartin@...> wrote:
I've owned my View for ten years and have finally decided to install a solar charging system.  I'd like to get some suggestions regarding an optimal system given current technologies.  I'm primarily interested in panel and charger recommendations.   Are the Renogy 100 watt panels STILL a good way to go?  Do people still like the Renogy kits?  I'm thinking of wiring two or more panels in series and using an MPPT controller.  200 watts or so should be sufficient.  I understand that some people believe panels in parallel, maybe even having to use lower gauge wire, are preferable due to partial shading issues.  I camp mostly in full sun.  Or full shade.  Let's hear your thoughts.

Does anyone have experience with their 24J?  How did you layout your panels?  What sizes, specs?  How did you run your wires to the controller?   Where did you mount your controller?

I think I'll add a battery monitor.   But no inverter.   No lithium batteries.  I have two of the Costco 6V GC batteries.  Pretty simple.

Thanks very,  very much.

Tony
O8 VJ Nor Cal or Southern OR