Re: Dreaded Click and NO START Cause/Photo of Relay

William Finley

Glenn

Thanks again for sharing your learning experience on the starter motor.

Do you have any idea what the road service use was on your rig?

One of the early 06 rigs I looked at for purchase was used extensively for hunting trips in the northeast displayed a lot of rust on the exposed metal undercarriage.

My rig has never seen snow or salt (except for some road ice in south Carolina one scary January day)

I'm just wondering what may have caused the copper to corrode.

The braided strap I removed and cleaned showed no evidence of corrosion. Im replacing it out of an abundance of caution and the fact that it costs $12 and is a 10 minute job to replace.

I'm not doubting your findings just sharing mine.

Best Regards.

Bill 06vh

On Wed, Oct 21, 2020, 8:41 AM Glenn Franco <brakey6666@...> wrote:
Hey Bill
The only service fix for the starter is to replace it or the solenoid.
Solenoid if you can find one is less than $40 so that is my preferred fix. The starter motor is fine and should function with the new solenoid.
Make sure you pull the starter motor part number which is stamped on the main housing and match it up with what's available on eBay.
That's the only place I have been able to find one.
The photo I provided shows a solenoid that was cut at the crimp and their is no going back at that point.
Glenn 06 23H 38600 mi

On Wed, Oct 21, 2020 at 8:01 AM MichiganView <deepthinkers@...> wrote:
Thx Glenn —

Great work — it should prove helpful to many owners! Would owners be able to ‘field service’ this  - maybe clean up the contacts and apply a bit of dielectric? Do you have field service recommendations?  Bill V12J MI

[snip] "I pulled the old solenoid that failed with 32,000 miles on it and chucked it up in my metal lathe. I used a parting tool to cut off the crimp that holds the plastic end cap with the terminals off to see if I could locate the problem.
What I found is that the copper strip and battery terminal contact is severely corroded and prevents the strip from providing any current to the motor terminal. That condition is what is causing the click of the solenoid but no starter cranking or motor spinning.
See attached photos that show the condition.” [snip]