Re: Dreaded Click and NO START Cause/Photo of Relay

Bob

That’s not corrosion. That’s carbon. You can see the contacts didn’t make good surface contact like the other clean contact. The blackened contact had very little surface contact. That caused high current flowing through a small area of the full surface. The results were pitting and arcing causing carbon buildup. No signs of rust or internal corrosion show in the picture.

My observations after studying relay, switch and electrical connection failures working more than 30 years in the industry.

Bob 18G

On Oct 21, 2020, at 11:58, Glenn Franco <brakey6666@...> wrote:

Bill
Our Navion/Sprinter has never seen salt even though I purchased in Michigan. The black on the battery terminal is caused by arcing across the two conductors.
In fact our Navion was never stored outdoors but always in an enclosed barn. The fiberglass finish on the coach sides does not show any weathering that causes the surfaces to dull.
Also I cut that solenoid apart on a lathe so those conductors are sealed from the outside elements.

Paul
Good luck on finding a replacement for your Valeo starter. Make sure when you search that you have the starter part number so you get the correct solenoid.
Google and Amazon are not trustworthy to get you the correct solenoid. Make sure in the part listing is shows your starter part number.

Glenn 06 23H 38600 mi

On Wed, Oct 21, 2020 at 10:06 AM Paul Rouis <prouis@...> wrote:

Thanks Glenn and Bill. I had the intermittent issue and replaced the starter with a Valeo from Europarts.

I think it was about $200. Works perfectly after replacement.

I saved the old one and will see if I can follow your leads and rebuild it as a spare for $50 or so.

Paul

07VJNY