Re: exhaust gas in cab, 4cyl engine

Dale Lucas

Mike,
Fumble fingers didn't let me finish typing.
I ment to thank you for your post.
Went out to our 2012 J (2011 chassis, 78K) looked at the DPF bracket and sure enough,  it's cracked.
Not broken through yet but progressively failing from both sides.  A $23 part, you saved us big money.
Thanks,
What a great group.
Dale
12 J
Las Cruces,  NM

On Fri, Dec 18, 2020 at 2:33 PM, Dale Lucas via groups.io
<da_lucas@...> wrote:
Mike,
Thanks for posting the bit about

On Dec 18, 2020, at 1:20 PM, Mike McMillen <mhmcmillen@...> wrote:

With my last service A, the mechanic found that the brackets that hold up the DPF, diesel particulate filter, were broken, causing the DPF to fail at the flex joint.  The  front desk guy says when that happens, you can sell exhaust gas in the cab because the heater intake is near by.  I said yes, it has been doing it since new!  In my rig, you could not be stopped, engine running, with the heater fan on.  Well, it is all fixed now, $3,853 later.  I wish I had been more forceful when the rig was still under warranty.  I am disappointed that the MB dealerships (one in CA one in AZ) both missed this when I had my first service A and B.  I even mentioned it to one of them.

One more thing, a side note.  When the mechanic removed the DPF, he found one of the lines that attaches to the DPF was cross threaded onto the DPF. It came from the factory that way.  We had to replace that line too.
--
Mike McMillen '16NJP i4 White Salmon, WA