Topics

06 Navion H Rear Trim Removal

Glenn Franco

I would like to add a rear back up camera to our 06 Navion View. I located the bundle of wiring behind the cab overhead light. The problem I am having is trying to locate the wiring bundle at the rear under the gray trim. I have probed the area with a piece of wire with a hook on it and have only fished out a loop of one wire.
I have also used a flexible scope with a lighted tip to look into the void but its not clear what's behind the gray trim.
After searching through the posts the trim removal procedure comes through as a pretty sketchy process and its not clear how its done. Is the gray trim held on with clips or with screws as nothing is showing at the corners and at the center. If I scrape off the sealer at the roof joint will I find screws or ???
If someone has a procedure for removal of the center trim I certainly would appreciate seeing a copy of it.

Also is the sealer at the roofline at the rear a common leak point for the 06 H models as I found the storage compartment on the right side rear was wet from the rain we have had. I don't see however how the water got in. Our unit, prior to us purchasing it used was alway stored inside a pole barn and when it's stored in Florida its in a covered storage lot. Here in Michigan its out in the weather and we have had quite a bit of rain lately.

Please advise
Thanks in Advance
Glenn 06 Navion 23H 38K mi

retfeds@...

Glenn,
You should not need to remove the trim. If you found a single cable under the rear trim, that’s the rear camera cable (audio, video, and power in a single cable). The cable has ends on it that only accept “Voyager” products; however, adaptors can be found on Amazon and eBay to connect other types of camera/monitor combinations. My ‘07 came with a Voyager camera and monitor but I replaced my black-and-white camera with a color model (also Voyager). A few years ago my monitor failed and I replaced it with a cheaper version using a Voyager adaptor. On other Sites I saw where folks cut the cable ends off and attached generic connections (soldered and heat shrink secured).
--
Skip
07VH

Glenn Franco

When I connected to the loose cable under the center of the gray plastic trim it came out just as a slight loop and I never saw the end of the cable.
I will try again to fish it out but I'm not having much luck. OBTW the cable I fished out was not a black one that I saw under the cab roof light it was a colored cable so I'm guessing it is not the camera feed wire.
Glenn 06 Navion 23H 38K mi

On Sat, Oct 3, 2020 at 10:29 AM retfeds via groups.io <retfeds=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Glenn,
You should not need to remove the trim.  If you found a single cable under the rear trim, that’s the rear camera cable (audio, video, and power in a single cable).  The cable has ends on it that only accept “Voyager” products; however, adaptors can be found on Amazon and eBay to connect other types of camera/monitor combinations.  My ‘07 came with a Voyager camera and monitor but I replaced my black-and-white camera with a color model (also Voyager).  A few years ago my monitor failed and I replaced it with a cheaper version using a Voyager adaptor.  On other Sites I saw where folks cut the cable ends off and attached generic connections (soldered and heat shrink secured).
--
Skip
07VH
East TN

ken seigle

I fished mine out ok, you must have clearance light wire. If you have not taken the trim off and inspected the tape underneath, may be a good time to do so. The factory job is sometimes lacking. It is not that bad of a time taking it all off, he you can reseal the trim also. I had stereo shop install back up camera and monitor to my already installed wiring.
Ken 06 NH
Auburn, Wa

On Saturday, October 3, 2020, 07:55:19 AM PDT, Glenn Franco <brakey6666@...> wrote:

[...]

There are screws under the top sealant, and some support clips under the trim piece.
Ken 06nh

On Saturday, October 3, 2020, 06:21:39 AM PDT, Glenn Franco <brakey6666@...> wrote:

[...]

I believe the cable comes out from the left of center. Should be just behind the trim.
--
Skip
07VH

William Finley

If you remove the sealant and need to reseal the back trim be sure to use nuflex 311 ( what the factory uses) or some other high-quality silicon- based sealant.

Don't use a material called dicor it's not silicon-based and it won't stick to the small residual amount of silicon that is nearly impossible to remove.

Best price I could find online was $45 for 4 tubes delivered at :

My local Winnebago dealer wanted $22 for one tube.

4 brand new tubes showed up in about 3 days not old stock.

Good luck.

Bill 06vh

On Sat, Oct 3, 2020, 12:30 PM retfeds via groups.io <retfeds=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
I believe the cable comes out from the left of center.  Should be just behind the trim.
--
Skip
07VH
East TN

Art

My camera cord started out under the upper drivers side trim piece and was fed from there to the centre one (there's a little indent in the plastic for it), could be yours is stuck back away from the opening.    I would take all the upper and side trim off and inspect the tape while I was there.   There's a plug for the clearance lights behind the LR trim piece.

I had no problem making Dicor stick, the old sealant comes off with windex and a sharp scraper.

Art.

07H

William Finley

Art/all

Follow up on dicor.

I watched this video. (attached below) Then I climbed on my roof and peeled 5 foot long and 5 inch wide strips of dicor off with nearly zero applied force.

 I will say that it was not causing leaks but edges were peeling and the edges showed water intrusion and it is not what the factory installs or recommends.

Luckily the dicor was 5 inches wide and so the leaking edges did not result in damage or leaks. (that I can see inside the coach but hidden damage who knows)

 I was shocked at how little force was needed to peel the dicor off the roof.

Think peeling off play doh from a plastic plate. Yes the play doh worked but it was not stuck to the surface.

Hence my suggestion on using nuflex 311 or a high quality silicon based sealant not dicor.

Here's the video.

A prior owner or shop put the wrong material on my roof.

The nuflex 311 sticks like glue and is a real pia to remove (which is exactly the material trait I want on my roof.)

$45 and 4 tubes goes a long way and touch up repairs are straight forward and I can tell the next owner the roof is sealed per factory spec with the sealant approved and used at the factory.

But of course we can all do whatever we wish to do no worries it's a free country or it was prior to the virus.

😎

Best Regards to all.

Bill 06vh

On Sun, Oct 4, 2020, 2:06 PM Art <artwmcewen@...> wrote:
My camera cord started out under the upper drivers side trim piece and was fed from there to the centre one (there's a little indent in the plastic for it), could be yours is stuck back away from the opening.    I would take all the upper and side trim off and inspect the tape while I was there.   There's a plug for the clearance lights behind the LR trim piece.

I had no problem making Dicor stick, the old sealant comes off with windex and a sharp scraper.

Art.

07H

David Lowell

Where would you get new clips from ?  I am going to need a bunch if I remove all of my panels that are become loose anyways,

Dave

David J

Bill, that exactly follows my experience with a new-to-me low mileage 06VJ that had spent most of its life sitting in a driveway in desert southern Calif. Someone had slathered Dicor or another lap sealant (I think) on top of the factory sealant (identified in their docs as Nuflex 311) and it came off without any effort. As part of my solar install I tried a lot of different PU and silicone blends. It took very strong pulling but 311 is quite strong and once I got a big enough flap of it peeled off I was able to pull off large strips around vents etc. It seemed well bonded to everything underneath except for a couple of places where it looked like the surface hadn't been prepared very well and adhesion was weaker. I cleaned the areas with isopropyl alcohol and used 311 to seal it up again, looking pretty much like factory.

Dicor is specified as a lap sealant for their EPDM roofs, says it's also compatible with TPO and PVC. Lap sealants are intended to go between two faying surfaces but not necessarily optimal for flowing over the top of the joint from the outside, and not necessarily optimal for polyester resin/fiberglass roofs like the Filon used in V/Ns. It's not supposed to have high adhesive strength, allowing to to remove whatever is sealed without damaging the roof. We can afford a little extra effort to pull off self-leveling silicone like #311 from the top when we need to, I think.

Glenn Franco

Thanks for the input on 311 sealant.
FYI if you are a Good Sam member and near a camping world. I picked up 2 tubes of it at Camping world for $14. and change. Cheaper than Amazon
And it works Great!
Glenn 06 Navion 23H 38k mi

Nigebirch

What Camping World sells Nuflex 311 for $14 and change???  You must mean ONE tube is $14+

Dorrin 19D

Glenn Franco

The camping world price is $14 and change for 1 tube.

On Tue, Oct 6, 2020 at 9:34 AM Nigebirch via groups.io <dmbirchmd=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
What Camping World sells Nuflex 311 for $14 and change???  You must mean ONE tube is $14+

Dorrin 19D

David J

Cheapest I have seen is $7 a tube at johnsonssurplus.com plus shipping. With shipping it's still $50 or so for 4 tubes.

Art

I didn't break/remove any of my old clips as they're slide in/out, but I assume an auto body supply shop would have something similar.    If anything it was the trim side of the clip that was week (I had to re-epoxy at least one).

Art 07H

bike_for_life2003

I just bought 4 tubes of Manus 75 AM to reseat/reseal my roof edges in the gutters, the so-called "wings" with mounts, and the skylight/vent on our cabover cap.  About $50 from Amazon.

Someone mentioned photos of a skylight/vent reseal up there (mainly around hinge?) but I cannot find the photos.. Any help?

-----------------------
Paul and Christine
06 View 23H in NW FL

Tom

These is a document in discussion@view-navion.groups.io  located in the File section under Coach Service Tips explaining the sealing of the skylight.  Pulling the hinge pins and sealing under them is important to fixing  roof leaks.

TomF 13NV

William Finley

Fyi nucor 311 4 tubes free shipping arrived in 3 days. Factoryrvsurplus.com.

My brother in laws company. (kidding)

Bill 06vh

On Tue, Oct 6, 2020, 8:06 PM Tom <tjfexplorer@...> wrote:
These is a document in discussion@view-navion.groups.io  located in the File section under Coach Service Tips explaining the sealing of the skylight.  Pulling the hinge pins and sealing under them is important to fixing  roof leaks.

TomF 13NV

markcrewson@...

I got a nice bluetooth color camera installed at Car Toys for about $350. I think they hooked into existing lighting for 12v, but don't need a hardwire connections from monitor to camera. Also, I can turn it on while going down the highway if I want to check out how tarped stuff in the rear or who might be following too close for side-view mirrors. Never had any problems with reception or clarity.