Topics

The RV industry needs high efficiency mini split technology

Keith Taylor

Please contact any mini split heat pump manufacturer you can think of IE Mitsubishi. Pioneer, Samsung. LG.etc

We RVers both new and retro fit neet a low profile condenser...say 15 inch tall to fit on the top of our rigs....trailers. 5th  wheels. Motor homes etc.

Combine this with a cassett evaporator inside and you got it good!

Very efficient...no high AMP draw on start up....you name it, mini splits would be a win win for us and another sales avenue for mini split manufactures....

Please help spread a d the word...I can't find manufacturer thinking along these lines.

Keith

Ken Marr

I agree, a mini-split option would be great, but although uncommon, they do exist and are a possible DIY. For example.....

https://youtu.be/aDXKuZaMXoY

https://www.hvachowto.com/what-is-the-best-mini-split-ac-heat-pump-for-an-rv-or-trailer/

More info and examples are readily available via a Google search.

Ken
11J
WA

Jonathan Dwight

Just curious where the indoor head would be installed? My guess is the back of the house. These are fantastic machines. The smallest units run on 110 v.

On Jul 31, 2020, at 1:22 PM, Ken Marr via groups.io <kmarr97@...> wrote:

I agree, a mini-split option would be great, but although uncommon, they do exist and are a possible DIY. For example.....

https://youtu.be/aDXKuZaMXoY

https://www.hvachowto.com/what-is-the-best-mini-split-ac-heat-pump-for-an-rv-or-trailer/

More info and examples are readily available via a Google search.

Ken
11J
WA

old_b4_my_time

My main objection to the DIY mini-splits some are installing now is at least in the J model, the air blows right over the bed.    I don't know how many hotels I have been in where running the split was a necessity "evil" but where I strung bath towels with thumb tacks to keep the wind from blowing directly on me.   Even more irritating is the "rotate" feature where the motorized louvers roll up and down, painting the body in ice cold air for the entire night.    I'd like to see the current duct distribution adhered to but a better design and perhaps more efficient version of what they are selling now, which sounds like a jet engine and is second only in hair pull-out irritation factor to the sensation of sleeping on top of a generator which is running the beast.    It's been my experience with a lot of experimenting that nothing works as well as the current design (at least of the year model design of my coach) as something that distributes the air a lot more evenly than a single point of cool such as a mini-split head or window unit.   I've experimented with window units in the dinette when parked for longer periods and where I didn't want to vibrate myself to sleep and with a 12K BTU window unit in the J dining room window, I had to set the thermostat for 72 there in order to have 85 in the bedroom and that was even with a 10" fan on high blowing down the center isle.

**** Yes, that youtube video looks like a good approach and meets the objective I just stated.    These coaches are just too "leaky" otherwise to function well with a single source of cold air.