Topics

Advice needed - removing plastic from front of rv

Frank Hughes

Trying to remove the factory installed clear plastic material (rock chip protection?) on the front.
The adhesive is completely contaminated with whatever the tropical climate here provides - algae, fungus, ???  Turning mottled black/gray .
I have tried to soften the material using Isopropyl Alcohol, works, but the plastic is brittle and just comes off in tiny pieces.
Tried  heat gun, works to soften the adhesive, slightly larger pieces of plastic can be pulled off.
Plan “C” is to soften and scrape.
What kind of tool can do the scraping w/o damage to the underlying paint?
Or is there a better method, non-destructive for the underlying paint?
Frank & Christine
2017 24G

Robert Heywood

I do not have an answer, but you might try calling a company that does "wrap Graphics" on vehicles.  Search "Vehicle Graphics" in your area.

FYI, those films usually carry a warranty of 2 to 4 years on "removability" without damaging the underlying finish.  It is surprising that it has failed so miserably.  Has it been out in elements 24/7?

Good Luck!

Bob

2017 SOB MB Sprinter Class C Motorhome.

On Tue, Sep 29, 2020 at 8:26 AM Frank Hughes via groups.io <hp_ciscovss=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Trying to remove the factory installed clear plastic material (rock chip protection?) on the front.
The adhesive is completely contaminated with whatever the tropical climate here provides - algae, fungus, ???  Turning mottled black/gray .
I have tried to soften the material using Isopropyl Alcohol, works, but the plastic is brittle and just comes off in tiny pieces.
Tried  heat gun, works to soften the adhesive, slightly larger pieces of plastic can be pulled off.
Plan “C” is to soften and scrape.
What kind of tool can do the scraping w/o damage to the underlying paint?
Or is there a better method, non-destructive for the underlying paint?
Frank & Christine
2017 24G

Rich Harasin

I believe CDI in Forest City, IA is the installer of the film for Winnebago. Give Josh Faber a call (641-585-5900) you may find that you are under warranty!

Rich Navion 2015 24V FL

On Tuesday, September 29, 2020, 08:26:46 AM CDT, Frank Hughes via groups.io <hp_ciscovss@...> wrote:

Trying to remove the factory installed clear plastic material (rock chip protection?) on the front.
The adhesive is completely contaminated with whatever the tropical climate here provides - algae, fungus, ???  Turning mottled black/gray .
I have tried to soften the material using Isopropyl Alcohol, works, but the plastic is brittle and just comes off in tiny pieces.
Tried  heat gun, works to soften the adhesive, slightly larger pieces of plastic can be pulled off.
Plan “C” is to soften and scrape.
What kind of tool can do the scraping w/o damage to the underlying paint?
Or is there a better method, non-destructive for the underlying paint?
Frank & Christine
2017 24G

bike_for_life2003

While contemplating having our former RV wrapped rather than painted, I watched the guys at the local sign shop removing some old wrap.... heat gun in the sun with a plastic putty knife...  Labor intensive work but the owner said it was the only way it could be done with no damage to the paint below.

I don't know what kind of product M-B or WB used but the sign shop told me the 3M wrap they were using was guaranteed for 5 years and could last twice that if cared for and the vehicle kept out of the sun.
Paul and Christine
06 View 23H in NW FL

GatorJeff

Similar to some of above, I suggest you contact Suzanne Culvert w/Sharpline @ 800.888.4888. They're associated w/CDI, took care of arranging for my bad film to be replaced at no charge under their warranty. If you're in Florida (as I am) she'll arrange for a tech to come to you. Be very careful about working on this yourself, esp in the plastic bumper, from which the paint can be too-easily removed along w/the film. Several prior posts as well.
--
Jeff S, '17 Winnebago View J, Gainesville FL