Topics

Atwood hot water blockage

Harry Olthoff

Folks,  my Atwood Hot Water heater is behaving thus: the heater element works fine on both electric and gas; the 6 gallons  of water in tank are hot; BUT the water will not proceed to the kitchen or bath taps with the normal volume of water. A dribble at best is what we get.  So I assume a blockage in discharge line... from what i know not.  I have attempted to dislodge by pressure cleaning thru drain and creating a back pressure  with cold water line.  Neither have worked.  In past i have removed the unit from mh for other reasons and will do that again if necessary but the retired part of me would like another option if possible since i am on the  road.  Txs.
Harry View 06H on Lake Superior.

Will Doering

Harry
Have you taken the aerator off (unscrewed) of the faucet to see if it is plugged up with any minerals or anything else that may be plugging up your water flow as a first step??

--

Remember the five simple rules to be happy: Free your heart from hatred. Free your mind from worries. Live simply. Give more. Expect less.

Mike McMillen

Harry, is your outside sprayer turned off?  Both the hot and cold side?  I remember reading someone had the sprayer off at the wand, but not the valves, and that caused a similar situation.

Carl Elliott

Is the cold water also showing reduced water flow volume?  (bad pump, plugged aerators, tank fill valve set to fill position)
There is also a check valve right at the water heater outlet pipe, screwed onto the tank, that could be checking in both directions.  My water heater actually has two check valves, one on the input and one on the outlet pipe/hoses right at the tank.   Visible thru the tiny cover behind the sliding bathroom door and also from the bottom of the pantry floor on our H's.  Hope you can borrow some skinny arms.

--
-Carl E.  2007H  NW WA

MIKE BAGLEY

Harry,I had the same problem a few yrs ago.There was a backflow preventer valve on the cold water intake right at the waterheater..it desintagrated and was blocking water flow. I removed it from the connection and solved the problem. Take a few of the shelves out of the pantry,then remove the very bottom shelf..mine was held down with screws..the connections are almost directly under that shelf. I never replaced that valve and have never had that problem again. I did not replace the shelf screws either, makes things go smoother if you ever need to get back in there again..hope this helps.
Mike,07 ViewH...Central Pa.

younglr98

There is a back flow preventer in the HWH output. They can get clogged or corroded. Easy to get to usually. Roger 07VJ S OR

Harry Olthoff

Roger...txs for info and your helping to diagnose the problem...did try to remove the fitting from the hw tank but was unable to break it loose with the tools i have with me(or could borrow).  I was able to move the valve a bit but it is clearly not functioning correctly. Will try again when we home.  Did clean the screens on faucets where there was some goop.
Txs to all for your input.

On Mon, Aug 24, 2020, 9:55 PM younglr98 via groups.io <younglr98=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
There is a back flow preventer in the HWH output. They can get clogged or corroded. Easy to get to usually.     Roger 07VJ S OR

Harry Olthoff

Mike...your help is greatly appreciated and unit specific....many thanks.  We are in process and will continue when we return home.