Topics

Chassis battery drained while Driving

Jonathan Brewer

Chassis battery light came on and battery quickly went down while traveling this weekend. At the same time the electric steps and side slide out quit working. I’m assuming my alternator is voltage regulator went out. Stumped me that the two accessories went out at the same time. Bought a new chassis battery and made it home with all accessories off and it was dead enough it wouldn’t turn over the engine when I got home. I’m wondering if putting in a new battery or something prior shut down the steps & slide out or it burnt a relay. Any pointers would be appreciated. I’m not that astute with electric and locating and identifying the relays. Thanks

Bob Knight

Year and model?

Thanks,
Bob
17nj

--
17NJ
Santa Fe, NM

Jonathan Brewer

Oops, model 23J 2007 50,000 mi

Terry Fenwick

A number of years ago the voltage regulator quit on me and I had to limp home (as I did not want to change out the $1,500 alternator on the road, I hard wired the house batteries to the engine battery with a switch and I ran the genset while driving to charge all the batteries).
I pulled the alternator out of the View and brought it to my local mechanic, he opened it up and changed out the internal voltage regulator (cost around $75 for the new regulator) which was a big savings over replacing the alternator.
As the engine battery is what powers both the steps and the slide out, that is the reason these two accessories went out at the same time. With a fully charged engine battery, the steps and slide out should work fine.
Terry  06 VH, Ontario

On 8/2/2020 7:39 PM, Jonathan Brewer wrote:
Chassis battery light came on and battery quickly went down while traveling this weekend. At the same time the electric steps and side slide out quit working. I’m assuming my alternator is voltage regulator went out. Stumped me that the two accessories went out at the same time. Bought a new chassis battery and made it home with all accessories off and it was dead enough it wouldn’t turn over the engine when I got home. I’m wondering if putting in a new battery or something prior shut down the steps & slide out or it burnt a relay. Any pointers would be appreciated. I’m not that astute with electric and locating and identifying the relays. Thanks

Jonathan Brewer

Thanks Terry. I’m sure you are right about the Alt/reg. The thing I didn’t expect was that even after the new battery was in the steps and slide out still didn’t work. Seems something else happened. That’s good advice though to remove and see if I can just replace the reg.
07 View
23J
50,000  with the 20,000 we’ve put on it mostly trouble free🤞🏼

[...]

Jonathon,
If the steps and slide still do not work with the freshly charged engine battery, then perhaps the circuit breakers for those two items have popped. The breakers are located in the floor compartment between the front seats, there are 4 or 5 DC breakers in the compartment, can't recall exactly which was which. Steps were a 5amp breaker, the slide was a 25 or 30 amp breaker. As I recall (been a long time since I played with the breakers!) they are a simple pop out type breaker that you just push back into place to reset them.
Terry 06 VH  Ontario

On 8/2/2020 9:38 PM, Jonathan Brewer wrote:
[...]

JPS

what year and miles? Sign off like this  Jim 07VH FLOH

On Sun, Aug 2, 2020 at 7:39 PM Jonathan Brewer <jon_brewer07@...> wrote:
Chassis battery light came on and battery quickly went down while traveling this weekend. At the same time the electric steps and side slide out quit working. I’m assuming my alternator is voltage regulator went out. Stumped me that the two accessories went out at the same time. Bought a new chassis battery and made it home with all accessories off and it was dead enough it wouldn’t turn over the engine when I got home. I’m wondering if putting in a new battery or something prior shut down the steps & slide out or it burnt a relay. Any pointers would be appreciated. I’m not that astute with electric and locating and identifying the relays. Thanks

Steve

I've always wondered what "FLOH" is....is that Florida and Ohio?
Steve
11VPG
CA

Jonathan Dwight

A town in Ohio called Florida, so the acronym is FLorida Of Ohio

On Aug 3, 2020, at 6:15 PM, Steve via groups.io <slarson1942@...> wrote:

I've always wondered what "FLOH" is....is that Florida and Ohio?
Steve
11VPG
CA

JPS

your 100% correct

On Mon, Aug 3, 2020 at 9:15 PM Steve via groups.io <slarson1942=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
I've always wondered what "FLOH" is....is that Florida and Ohio?
Steve
11VPG
CA

Steve

Ahhh, mystery solved. I've been seeing this for years (on old forum) and often wondered. Thanks Jim and Jonathan.....
Steve
11VPG
CA

Jonathan Brewer

Appreciate the input all. I noticed the breaker popped closest to the driver seat and reset. Didn’t make a difference. Is there something
Else like a fuse? I’m going to change out the alternator soon and try again but if any know of the next step it’d, as always be appreciated.
2007 View  23J 50,000 mi
Chattanooga
Jon Brewer

From: David J <dlj04@...>
Date: 8/5/20 10:37 PM (GMT-08:00)
To: discussion@view-naviontech.groups.io

This seems to be a common problem, and could easily be helped with suitable logic in the breaker/contactor box, especially for those of us with lots of solar panels charging the house batteries. Does anyone make a Battery Tender - type charger that operates from nominal 12 volts? It would need to have a boost-type dc/dc converter to make 14.1-14.5 volts from the available float voltage (nominally 13.6) in the house system.

David J

Thanks!

Jonathan Brewer

Fixed the battery drain by replacing the alternator with a 150 Amp version. The battery took such a hit I had to charge it up before I could start it up. I’m still having issues with the steps/slideout. Check all fuses short of pulling the seat, circuit breakers are all set in and still nothing. While I was on the battery I added a secondary battery to frame ground and cleaned all battery connections. Looking at the wiring diagram to see if I’m missing a common power source or can locate the ground. Any help appreciated.

jon 2007 View 23J