Topics

City/Tank Fill Valve Replacement

Mike beer

My fresh water tank fills slowly while hooked up to city water with the City/Tank Fill Valve in the "City" position. I want to replace this cheap plastic valve with a brass valve.
Has anyone done this and what is the best way to access the City/Tank Fill Valve for replacement? How much of the water service panel needs to be dismantled?
My search of the archive has not been fruitful.
Thanks for any assistance.
--
Mike Beer
15VJ

Glenn Franco

I have done this on an 06 navion so it's doubtful they are the same.
I had to pull the whole panel apart, It was quite a project.
If its like the 06 I would say the plastic one works well!
Glenn 06 View 23H 38K mi

On Fri, Sep 4, 2020 at 11:45 AM Mike beer via groups.io <z.mbeer=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
My fresh water tank fills slowly while hooked up to city water with the City/Tank Fill Valve in the "City" position. I want to replace this cheap plastic valve with a brass valve.
Has anyone done this and what is the best way to access the City/Tank Fill Valve for replacement? How much of the water service panel needs to be dismantled?
My search of the archive has not been fruitful.
Thanks for any assistance.
--
Mike Beer
15VJ
Mpls, MN

Tom

Mike,
I do not think its the city/fill valve, its usually the one way valve in the water pump is leaking. Sometimes just taking it apart and cleaning it works.

TomF 13NV

ken seigle

Mine did that, so Len and others told me to put in about 4 gallons of vinegar. I let it set for about a week, turning pump on once in awhile. There is a test using winterizing tube to check pump. Mine works great now, even leaving it on. The vinegar works.
Ken 06 NH
Auburn, Wa

On Friday, September 4, 2020, 05:25:24 PM PDT, Tom <tjfexplorer@...> wrote:

Mike,
I do not think its the city/fill valve, its usually the one way valve in the water pump is leaking. Sometimes just taking it apart and cleaning it works.

TomF 13NV

mark berger

Hi Ken,

Could you tell me where the information on how to test your outside pump in the water fill/ grey/black water release valves are? I would be greatly appreciative of this.
tanks so much.

Mark 09 Navion 25J
San Anselmo, Ca.

bike_for_life2003

My 06 owner's manual says to open the fresh water fill port (passenger side  rear) to allow air to vent from the tank when filling from the bottom side connection.  Could this be your problem?

Paul and Christine
06 View 23H in NW FL

ken seigle

Maybe Len will pipe in. I should have written it down. I did the pump test by turning the winterization valve, and looking for water in the tube for drawing antifreeze in. I had none, so that left the diverter valve. When you have your fresh water tank full, a improperly sealing diverter valve will keep letting water into tank, and it will overflow out the gravity fill hole. I bought a new valve, but after running vinegar, everything works great. I have a new water pump, but did not use it either. The vinegar may fix a non sealing water pump check valve also. I will try to search for my instructions from Len.

On Saturday, September 5, 2020, 08:02:19 AM PDT, mark berger via groups.io <photoberger@...> wrote:

Hi Ken,

Could you tell me where the information on how to test your outside pump in the water fill/ grey/black water release valves are? I would be greatly appreciative of this.
tanks so much.

Mark 09 Navion 25J
San Anselmo, Ca.

ken seigle

I did a search groups.io, water pump check valve leaking. Hook up city water, put winterization valve in winterization, take little plug out of line. If check valve is bad, water will fill tube, if not, it is diverter valve.

On Saturday, September 5, 2020, 10:56:15 AM PDT, ken seigle via groups.io <kenseigle@...> wrote:

[...]

Mike McMillen

Ken does have it right.  And, yes, Len did tell us this.  Genius, simple.  Here is another description of the diagnosis for when your fresh water tank over fills when hooked up to city water:

Fill the fresh water tank to the brim.
Hook up to city water.
Put the winterization valve to winterization.
Take the winterization tube and remove the black cap.
If water tank overfills, the normal/tank-fill valve is bad, or not fully on 'normal.'  If water comes out of the winterization tube, the check valve, which is on and part of the water pump, has some sort of crud in it.  City water pressure is sneaking past the check valve backwards.  If the valve in is 'normal,' water slowly fills the tank, if the valve is in 'winterization,' it comes out the tube.

My check valve often messes up.  I expect you have a check valve issue.  It can be anything making the check valve mess up. A bit of sand.  Some green slime.  Maybe it is hard water buildup.  That is why the vinegar trick works sometimes.  Sometimes the faulty check valve fixes itself.  You can take it apart and put it back together, I've done that.  It worked.  You can buy a new check valve for the water pump.  It is cheap, $16-$18?  If you take it apart, be very careful, there is a spring in there.

One other thing, the other symptom of a cruddy check valve is when not on city water, and your water pump switch is on 'on,' your water pump comes on every so often for a split second.  When you have no leaking faucets, it shouldn't do that... very much.

--
Mike McMillen '16NJP i4 White Salmon, WA

Mike beer

Thanks A bunch Folks! Great info.

Question regarding adding Vinegar:

Should 4 gallons of Vinegar be added via the gravity fill port into the tank or suck it in via the winterization tube?

Happy Travels,

Mike Beer
145VJ
Mpls, MN

--
Mike Beer
15VJ

ken seigle

I put mine in the gravity fill port.
Ken 06NH

On Tuesday, September 8, 2020, 06:50:05 AM PDT, Mike beer via groups.io <z.mbeer@...> wrote:

Thanks A bunch Folks! Great info.

Question regarding adding Vinegar:

Should 4 gallons of Vinegar be added via the gravity fill port into the tank or suck it in via the winterization tube?

Happy Travels,

Mike Beer
145VJ
Mpls, MN

--
Mike Beer
15VJ
Mpls, MN

Mike McMillen

When I did it once, sucked the vinegar up through the winterization tube.
--
Mike McMillen '16NJP i4 White Salmon, WA

Mike beer

Thanks Mike. That’s the easy route... And I’ll start there.😄