Topics

Countdown to limp mode

Dennis Herrle

I have been inattentive and think I ran out of DEF I believe I am in count down to limp mode. There is a big 4 on the dash where the D for drive should be. I added a gallon of DEF, I am in a state park in Pennsylvania.

Question is: do I have to reset the computer? If so how do I do it? If not will it reset itself? Got my fingers crossed.

Thanks,
Dennis, 2011 View K 68000 miles Tucson, AZ now in Pennsylvania.

Schoolhouse1868

You are in 4th gear.
Slide your gear shift right to bring the D back.

On Sun, Sep 20, 2020 at 6:50 PM Dennis Herrle via groups.io <dennishhherrle=icloud.com@groups.io> wrote:
I have been inattentive and think I ran out of DEF I believe I am in count down to limp mode. There is a big 4 on the dash where the D for drive should be. I added a gallon of DEF, I am in a state park in Pennsylvania.

Question is: do I have to reset the computer? If so how do I do it? If not will it reset itself? Got my fingers crossed.

Thanks,

Dennis, 2011 View K 68000 miles Tucson, AZ now in Pennsylvania.

The Mercedes manual says when you run low (get the low DEF warning) that you need to top off your DEF tank - fill it all the way up. i have not experienced this but prior owner of my View did just what you did (added a gallon when low) and he got a bunch of error messages and ended up having to take it to a Mercedes dealer and clear all the codes and get him out of the 'emergency mode'.  If I were you I'd fill up the tank right away perhaps that'll help ??

On Sun, Sep 20, 2020 at 6:50 PM Dennis Herrle via groups.io <dennishhherrle=icloud.com@groups.io> wrote:
I have been inattentive and think I ran out of DEF I believe I am in count down to limp mode. There is a big 4 on the dash where the D for drive should be. I added a gallon of DEF, I am in a state park in Pennsylvania.

Question is: do I have to reset the computer? If so how do I do it? If not will it reset itself? Got my fingers crossed.

Thanks,
Dennis, 2011 View K 68000 miles Tucson, AZ now in Pennsylvania.

bike_for_life2003

Dennis...

Hope you got the problem solved... That said, our 06 does not use DEF but our 15 VW does... In the VW, when the DEF warning illuminates, it means I have 5 starts before the motor will shut down... it has nothing to do with the transmission (limp mode).  Does the M-B Sprinter DEF system operate differently?
-----------------------
Paul and Christine
06 View 23H in NW FL

Dennis Herrle

Paul and Christine, everything I read seems to indicate that it goes into limp mode after so many starts. I never saw anything that said DEF low. Another comment mentioned that I may have just been in fourth gear. Hoping that is the case. We’ll see in a few days when I leave the state park and head to Pittsburgh.

Thanks, Dennis

On Sep 21, 2020, at 10:34 AM, bike_for_life2003 <guzowskip@...> wrote:

Dennis...

Hope you got the problem solved... That said, our 06 does not use DEF but our 15 VW does... In the VW, when the DEF warning illuminates, it means I have 5 starts before the motor will shut down... it has nothing to do with the transmission (limp mode).  Does the M-B Sprinter DEF system operate differently?
-----------------------
Paul and Christine
06 View 23H in NW FL

Dennis Herrle

Dan, thanks. I never got anything saying DEF low. It has been suggested that I was just in forth gear. Will see when I head towards Pittsburgh in a few days. I did add a gallon just in case.

Dennis

On Sep 21, 2020, at 7:28 AM, Dan Collogan <dan.collogan@...> wrote:

[...]

Schoolhouse 1868, I think you may be right. I have not actually seen anything on dash with DEF in it. I added a gallon that I had and will check things out when I head toward Pittsburgh in a couple of days.

Thanks, Dennis

On Sep 20, 2020, at 9:04 PM, Schoolhouse1868 <Schoolhouse1868@...> wrote:

You are in 4th gear.
Slide your gear shift right to bring the D back.

On Sun, Sep 20, 2020 at 6:50 PM Dennis Herrle via groups.io <dennishhherrle=icloud.com@groups.io> wrote:
I have been inattentive and think I ran out of DEF I believe I am in count down to limp mode. There is a big 4 on the dash where the D for drive should be. I added a gallon of DEF, I am in a state park in Pennsylvania.

Question is: do I have to reset the computer? If so how do I do it? If not will it reset itself? Got my fingers crossed.

Thanks,

Dennis, 2011 View K 68000 miles Tucson, AZ now in Pennsylvania.

Dennis Herrle

Appears that you were right. Must have pushed the shift lever into 4th gear. Will hit the road tomorrow and get a full tank of DEF when I fill up with fuel.

Thanks so much for your insight. Surely made me at ease the last few days.

Dennis

On Sep 21, 2020, at 3:24 PM, Dennis Herrle via groups.io <dennishhherrle@...> wrote:

[...]

Gordon

Dennis-

You may want to check the archives of this group to learn how to utilize the downshifting into 4th and maybe 3rd gears to preserve the integrity of your transmission. I learned as a new owner how to use the Scanguage LOD setting of when to downshift to help maintain speed and protect the transmission and when to take it off of cruise control and simply use the gas pedal rather than letting temperatures rise in the transmission.

Happy Travels,

Gordy, Wisconsin
2008 View H

waydigs

Speaking of DEF, has anyone found a way to fill the DEF canister (2016) without overfilling it and causing a clean up.  I pour it in very slowly and it still ends up filling up the little cup at the top of the filler.
Can't see it coming!
Wayn e 16 n"V"

Dennis Herrle

Thanks. Will do. Where are you in Wisconsin. Heading to the UP in two weeks.

Dennis

On Sep 25, 2020, at 11:50 AM, Gordon <hubbardgordon@att.net> wrote:

Dennis-

You may want to check the archives of this group to learn how to utilize the downshifting into 4th and maybe 3rd gears to preserve the integrity of your transmission. I learned as a new owner how to use the Scanguage LOD setting of when to downshift to help maintain speed and protect the transmission and when to take it off of cruise control and simply use the gas pedal rather than letting temperatures rise in the transmission.

Happy Travels,

Gordy, Wisconsin
2008 View H

paulzachary8

I use a siphon I found hanging on a shelf display in the automotive section of Walmart.
IMG_20200908_105837640_MP.jpg

Dick Stevenson

On Fri, Sep 25, 2020 at 12:07 PM, Gordon wrote:
You may want to check the archives of this group to learn how to utilize the downshifting into 4th and maybe 3rd gears to preserve the integrity of your transmission. I learned as a new owner how to use the Scanguage LOD setting of when to downshift to help maintain speed and protect the transmission and when to take it off of cruise control and simply use the gas pedal rather than letting temperatures rise in the transmission.
Hi Gordy, Can you say more about protecting the tranny and the use of a scangauge?
Thanks, Dick

paulzachary8

Re: Countdown to limp mode
From: paulzachary8
Date: Sat, 26 Sep 2020 06:38:03 PDT

I use a siphon I found hanging on a shelf display in the automotive section of Walmart.
This was in reply to how to fill DEF. It works great no mess
Paul Zachary 18VD 25K
Bossier City La.

Dennis Foley

What does LOD stand for?

Gordon

Dennis-

LOD is an acronym for “engine loading” or “the percentage of the maximum power available currently being generated....in some vehicles it is the maximum available in the present RPM “ (per Scanguage 5.1). LOD is one of 22 systems you can place into one of four slots that you can input into your scanguage to monitor a specific system as you travel down the road especially in hilly terrain. According to one of my personal gurus of View/Navion, Byron, he responded at one point: “I shift manually going up and down grades, using my Scanguage load (LOD) feature to help determine where to shift on upgrades. Since I’m now towing a car on some trips, I want to make sure that the engine doesn’t bog down before shifting on its own, so I shift down before the LOD reaches 99%.” On an post earlier than that, Byron related that “I routinely shift down a gear before LOD hits 90%.”

I am not the expert on the use of this tool, but I find it valuable to both maintain speed and be protective of both engine and transmission. Also, I find it helpful to assist me in judging when to tap the brake and take off the cruise control and resort to using the gas pedal on very long stretches traveling up hills.

Hope that helps!

Gordy Wisconsin
View 2008 H