Topics

Dinette back bracket loose

Bill Weatherwax

The screws holding the back of the dinette seat stripped and no longer hold the back in place. It's the dinette seat facing the rear of the RV. As a result the back board wobbles.

I'm considering replace the screws with toggle bolts.

Has anyone fixed this problem?

Bill 08VH CA

Dale Lucas

Bill,
If the screws go into wood, what I do is fill the holes with carpenters glue and match sticks.
Use a glue syringe to inject the glue past the bracket.
Wait a day and reinstall.
Stronger than new.
Or, use the next size larger screws.
Have had to do a lot re-gluing and clamping on cabinet work over time.
Those factory installed staples just don't make it over the long haul.
Dale
12 J
Las Cruces, NM

On Thursday, October 8, 2020, 07:55:20 AM MDT, Bill Weatherwax via groups.io <waxcruz@...> wrote:

The screws holding the back of the dinette seat stripped and no longer hold the back in place. It's the dinette seat facing the rear of the RV. As a result the back board wobbles.

I'm considering replace the screws with toggle bolts.

Has anyone fixed this problem?

Bill 08VH CA

JPS

If these screws go into any wood of substance (not just a thin sheet of plywood or similar product) you could consider just putting a couple of toothpicks in the holes and drive the screws back into the same openings. If in a thin sheet of wood consider using  hollow wall anchors, usually plastic you will drill the hole larger to accommodate the anchor then drive the original screw back into the anchor.  Jim 07VH FLOH

On Thu, Oct 8, 2020 at 9:55 AM Bill Weatherwax via groups.io <waxcruz=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
The screws holding the back of the dinette seat stripped and no longer hold the back in place. It's the dinette seat facing the rear of the RV. As a result the back board wobbles.

I'm considering replace the screws with toggle bolts.

Has anyone fixed this problem?

Bill 08VH CA

lou Thomson

My dinette faces a bit different but for the corners that never stay tight I bought some wide aluminum angle and took out the existing angle brackets and ran it up higher and used more screws, due to the additional width solved the problem of stripped out screws, and reinforced. Also glued wood blocks on all the lower corners as the dinette racks back and forth a bit and little then staples to connect i do like my dinette though! 09VJ

Bob McClure

Check out a moldable glue which is like a putty.  It is called Sugru.  It can be molded and sticks to anything.  They also make very strong magnets that can be bedded in the moldable glue.  Check out sugru videos on youtube, especially those that feature RV hacks.  It comes in different colors and will hold up to 4.4 lbs.   You will be amazed at all of the applications to use it in an RV.  Make hooks to hang towels, string exterior lights, use the magnets to hold the cabinet doors closed, or dinette seat backs from rattling, etc.

Bob McClure
2006 V23J
Redmond WA

On Thu, Oct 8, 2020 at 12:53 PM lou Thomson <norcal2@...> wrote:
My dinette faces a bit different but for the corners that never stay tight I bought some wide aluminum angle and took out the existing angle brackets and ran it up higher and used more screws, due to the additional width solved the problem of stripped out screws, and reinforced. Also glued wood blocks on all the lower corners as the dinette racks back and forth a bit and little then staples to connect i do like my dinette though! 09VJ

Bill Weatherwax

Thank you for all the suggestions.

I fixed the loose bracket with metal anchor bolts. No more wobbling.

Bill 08VH CA