Topics

Dreaded Click and NO START Cause/Photo of Relay

Glenn Franco

For those of you that have experienced the Dreaded Click and No Start from you T1N Sprinter or newer chassis with the Bosch Starters I have a photo of the root cause of the problem.
I have been searching for a replacement solenoid for the Bosch 0-001-109-250 starter and finally found one on eBay. With that in mind I pulled the old solenoid that failed with 32,000 miles on it and chucked it up in my metal lathe. I used a parting tool to cut off the crimp that holds the plastic end cap with the terminals off to see if I could locate the problem.
What I found is that the copper strip and battery terminal contact is severely corroded and prevents the strip from providing any current to the motor terminal. That condition is what is causing the click of the solenoid but no starter cranking or motor spinning.
See attached photos that show the condition.
Certainly other vehicle or electrical conditions can cause a no start but this is likely the primary cause of the click and no start resulting in starter replacement.
FYI
Glenn 06 Navion 23H now with 38,600 miles

In case you are wondering the black lower terminal is the battery terminal with all the corrosion. The upper terminal is the motor terminal.

JPS

Thanks Glenn, Jim 07VH FLOH

On Tue, Oct 20, 2020 at 9:25 AM Glenn Franco <brakey6666@...> wrote:
[...]

William Finley

Glenn/all

Thank you. I just experienced the exact same symptom. Click no start.

I first cleaned my battery terminals and that improved my results. But a few  days later it recurred and nothing changed when the coach Boost switch was engaged. Click but no starter spin or start.

I went to

And searched for click no start and found several troubleshooting threads.

One suggestion was to take a heavy battery jump start cable from the battery ground to heavy metal on the engine. (short ground battery terminal to engine)

I tried that and my 06 coach (56k miles) started no problem.

I then removed a braided copper ground strap (drivers side just below oil filter cap) and found the chassis side bolt not fully tight. It wasn't loose but it wasn't tight either. Used sand paper (80 grit) to clean both surfaces and wire wheels to clean the bolt holes on the braided cable. Sprayed brake cleaner on all the exposed surfaces and everything was fine problem solved.

I'm confident that the issue in my case was poor engine to chassis ground connection based on the fact that the jumper cable shorting eliminated the click no start issue.

New braided cable on way ($12 eBay) to be installed when I return from current trip.

I also removed and cleaned the short negative cable that connects to firewall for good measure.

2 days and 15-20 starts later it starts every time first crank so I am a happy camper.

Not sure what I'll do with the Amazon bosch $180 new starter that I purchased but I guess it is a reasonable spare to carry for now.

Best regards and thanks again for sharing your learning

Bill 06vh

On Tue, Oct 20, 2020, 9:40 AM JPS <selmsan@...> wrote:
[...]

MichiganView

Thx Glenn —

Great work — it should prove helpful to many owners! Would owners be able to ‘field service’ this  - maybe clean up the contacts and apply a bit of dielectric? Do you have field service recommendations?  Bill V12J MI

[snip] "I pulled the old solenoid that failed with 32,000 miles on it and chucked it up in my metal lathe. I used a parting tool to cut off the crimp that holds the plastic end cap with the terminals off to see if I could locate the problem.
What I found is that the copper strip and battery terminal contact is severely corroded and prevents the strip from providing any current to the motor terminal. That condition is what is causing the click of the solenoid but no starter cranking or motor spinning.
See attached photos that show the condition.” [snip]

Glenn Franco

Hey Bill
The only service fix for the starter is to replace it or the solenoid.
Solenoid if you can find one is less than $40 so that is my preferred fix. The starter motor is fine and should function with the new solenoid.
Make sure you pull the starter motor part number which is stamped on the main housing and match it up with what's available on eBay.
That's the only place I have been able to find one.
The photo I provided shows a solenoid that was cut at the crimp and their is no going back at that point.
Glenn 06 23H 38600 mi

On Wed, Oct 21, 2020 at 8:01 AM MichiganView <deepthinkers@...> wrote:
[...]

Thanks again for sharing your learning experience on the starter motor.

Do you have any idea what the road service use was on your rig?

One of the early 06 rigs I looked at for purchase was used extensively for hunting trips in the northeast displayed a lot of rust on the exposed metal undercarriage.

My rig has never seen snow or salt (except for some road ice in south Carolina one scary January day)

I'm just wondering what may have caused the copper to corrode.

The braided strap I removed and cleaned showed no evidence of corrosion. Im replacing it out of an abundance of caution and the fact that it costs $12 and is a 10 minute job to replace.

I'm not doubting your findings just sharing mine.

Best Regards.

Bill 06vh

On Wed, Oct 21, 2020, 8:41 AM Glenn Franco <brakey6666@...> wrote:
[...]

Paul Rouis

Thanks Glenn and Bill. I had the intermittent issue and replaced the starter with a Valeo from Europarts.

I think it was about $200. Works perfectly after replacement.

I saved the old one and will see if I can follow your leads and rebuild it as a spare for $50 or so.

Paul

07VJNY

[...]

Bill
Our Navion/Sprinter has never seen salt even though I purchased in Michigan. The black on the battery terminal is caused by arcing across the two conductors.
In fact our Navion was never stored outdoors but always in an enclosed barn. The fiberglass finish on the coach sides does not show any weathering that causes the surfaces to dull.
Also I cut that solenoid apart on a lathe so those conductors are sealed from the outside elements.

Paul
Good luck on finding a replacement for your Valeo starter. Make sure when you search that you have the starter part number so you get the correct solenoid.
Google and Amazon are not trustworthy to get you the correct solenoid. Make sure in the part listing is shows your starter part number.

Glenn 06 23H 38600 mi

On Wed, Oct 21, 2020 at 10:06 AM Paul Rouis <prouis@...> wrote:

[...]

Bob

That’s not corrosion. That’s carbon. You can see the contacts didn’t make good surface contact like the other clean contact. The blackened contact had very little surface contact. That caused high current flowing through a small area of the full surface. The results were pitting and arcing causing carbon buildup. No signs of rust or internal corrosion show in the picture.

My observations after studying relay, switch and electrical connection failures working more than 30 years in the industry.

Bob 18G

On Oct 21, 2020, at 11:58, Glenn Franco <brakey6666@...> wrote:

[...]

Hi Glenn

Interesting...feedback on the weather or salt not being the source of corrosion.

Thank you very much for the feedback and failure analysis.

Guess I'll just add my new bosch starter to my spares and install when needed.

Best Regards.

Bill 06vh

On Wed, Oct 21, 2020, 11:58 AM Glenn Franco <brakey6666@...> wrote:
[...]

younglr98

Thanks Glenn!  Is solenoid mounted on the starter?   I'm finally having to replace my boost solenoid after 8 years 90K miles. Been carrying spare forever!  Can't wait to cut it open.   Roger 07VJ E WA

Bob

Here’s a cut open boost solenoid.
Same carbon buildup on the contacts due to high current and arcing.

A copper washer type ring touching two hex head bolts. Any bad alignment of the heads and it fails. And the bolts are easily turned during installation.

Bob 18G

On Oct 21, 2020, at 17:13, William Finley <wcfinley@...> wrote:

[...]

David J

Where does the carbon come from? No carbon in copper...

Bob

I don’t believe it’s actually carbon. It’s reference is carbon black. It’s the oxidation of copper at high electric current that is a very dark gray to black.

Bob

On Oct 21, 2020, at 22:38, David J <dlj04@...> wrote:

Where does the carbon come from? No carbon in copper...

hikerbuddy01

My '08 Navion ('07 V6 chassis) has the same problem.  Occasional no start.  I posted a thread earlier this year.  Took the RV to Mercedes and they replaced the ignition module.  NO help.  I am interested in tracking down the "braided" ground cable from the engine to chassis to check that.  Anyone now where to start looking for it on the V6?  I am still of the opinion that it is the starter or starter solenoid but want to check the ground cable first.
--
Bob
'08NH

William Finley

Hello

If you go to the sprinter source www site there are many threads discussing a Y cable that deteriorates over time.

Of course there are also other issues discussed as potential problems to investigate a click no start issue.

Your 6 cylinder likely does not have the braided ground strap that I described. I'm no expert on your year but I'm fairly sure I'm sharing accurate information on that.

Here is one link to an example thread for your year 6 cylinder discussing the Y cable.

Good luck.

Bill 06vh

On Thu, Oct 22, 2020, 8:37 PM hikerbuddy01 <dirtdobber40@...> wrote:
My '08 Navion ('07 V6 chassis) has the same problem.  Occasional no start.  I posted a thread earlier this year.  Took the RV to Mercedes and they replaced the ignition module.  NO help.  I am interested in tracking down the "braided" ground cable from the engine to chassis to check that.  Anyone now where to start looking for it on the V6?  I am still of the opinion that it is the starter or starter solenoid but want to check the ground cable first.
--
Bob
'08NH
TX?

Nigebirch

The year 2008 is/was notorious for starting problems because of a bad Y cable.  This is where I would start.

Good luck,

Dorrin 19D (formerly 07J)

Art

I would be quite surprised if there wasn't a ground strap on the '07 chassis, every vehicle I've ever owned has had some sort of chassis/engine ground cable.   Easy enough to add a generic NAPA one to see.   I cleaned both ends of mine and added another one but ultimately it was the starter solenoid that solved my periodic issue.

Art
07H

Orin Score

Bob, I also have an '08NH and have had the intermittent start problem for years.  I replaced the Y cable about a year ago - no change.  So this summer I bought a replacement new Bosch starter from Rock Auto for $171.  It was easier to replace than the Y cable was and I have had no start issues since.  So while the Y cable could be the culprit, my experience showed it to be the starter....
Orin Score
08NH Wisconsin
80,000 miles

Ken Marr

Bob, at al,

That's not carbon, rather, it's copper (II) oxide,  CuO. The poor contact when solenoid closes along with the high current generates significant amounts of heat that causes the copper electrode to oxidize as it reacts with oxygen in the air to generate CuO, a black compound that is a non-conductor:

      2 Cu (s) +  O2 (g) ---> 2 CuO (s)

Ken
11J
WA