Topics

Dreaded Click and NO START Cause/Photo of Relay

ERH

Thanks for the pics!!  Generally speaking, there are two types of solenoid contacts: disc or tab.  Very sad to see the tab copper contact since their higher failure rate over the disc. The tab always is hitting the same spot where is the disc literally  rotates around .The tab is cheaper to manufacturer.

hikerbuddy01

Orin, did  you replace the starter yourself?  How easy is it for an 80 year old?  My '08 doesn't click when I turn the key.  It makes no sound and doesn't start.  Have to turn the key several times and it will eventually start.  This doesn't happen every time, only occasionally.
--
Bob
'08NH

hikerbuddy01

Orin, hard is it to change the starter for an 80 yr old?  What are the torque values for the mounting bolts?  I can get the starter for a fraction of the cost that Mercedes wants to charge.
--
Bob
'08NH

Orin Score

Bob, I replaced the starter myself.  I'm 75 and have always enjoyed tackling things like this.  Can't seem to do much on cars these days....  You need to lie on you back under the engine and work around the front axel.  The electrical connections (two) are removed from the front side underneath and the two bolts are on the back side.  I have fairly slender arms and the right tools so it wasn't extremely hard, just awkward.  Probably took me about two hours total.  I didn't measure the torque - just tightened based on my experience.  I had the same symptoms you describe - now no false starts since replacing!  I got my parts from Rock Auto - even if you bought your part you could take it to a shop to install and save that way.

hikerbuddy01

Orin, how hard is the starter to change for a 80 yr old?
--
Bob
'08NH

William Finley

Hikerbuddy

I think you may have missed a reply on how hard for 80 year old to Change starter.

I'll try to summarize/help.

Here is a link to a video on how to change starter on 04-06 sprinter from YouTube.

First 15 seconds outlines the tools needed. That's good.

The rest of the video is very dark and not worth much but you can watch it all if you wish.

Here is a second YouTube video that is better lit (has better lighting)

The starter weighs about 10-15 lbs and needs to be twisted to remove once bolts are out.

There is also at least one black zip tie that you need to cut with wire cutters to free the wiring for the starter as well as a plastic cover over the main 12v supply that must be removed to access the bolt to remove that wire.

Last suggestion/option is find local shop that will install a new starter you purchase online (bosch is OEM starter I believe)

Hope this helps you.

Bill 06vh

On Wed, Oct 28, 2020, 9:49 AM hikerbuddy01 <dirtdobber40@...> wrote:
Orin, how hard is the starter to change for a 80 yr old?
--
Bob
'08NH
TX

Stephen Dasaro

Hi Bill,

I receive your posts and many others so I am registered with the site but I can no longer access it on line. Would you be so kind as to send me the URL for the basic as well as the mods and tech sites? I DK what happened but somehow I lost access.

Thanks

Stephen 2013 Winni V J 35k LI NY

I think you may have missed a reply on how hard for 80 year old to Change starter.
I'll try to summarize/help.
Here is a link to a video on how to change starter on 04-06 sprinter from YouTube.
First 15 seconds outlines the tools needed. That's good.
The rest of the video is very dark and not worth much but you can watch it all if you wish.
https://youtu.be/UF2x14h3uSQ
Here is a second YouTube video that is better lit (has better lighting)
https://youtu.be/cRjBEvLog34
On Wed, Oct 28, 2020, 9:49 AM hikerbuddy01 <dirtdobber40@att.net <mailto:dirtdobber40@att.net>> wrote:
Orin, how hard is the starter to change for a 80 yr old?
--
Bob
'08NH
TX
--
17NJ
Santa Fe, NM

William Finley

Stephen

I think you will now have two answers but what you can do is follow this link and enter your groups.io login and password.

Here is the direct link to the initial login.

Just copy and paste that string into your browser address bar.

Login i my case is my email address.
If you have forgotten your password there is an option to reset your password.

Once you login you will see a list of the three different view/Navigon groups.

Hope this helps you

Bill 06vh