Topics

Failed chassis air conditioning

David Seeds

Several weeks ago I wrote of this failure “only hot air coming from dash vents”. After troubleshooting to the best of my abilities an after market shop has replaced the compressor for $1,200. Toyota should build a Sprinter size vehicle.
Dave, 2015 chassis, I-4, North Florida, 38,000 miles.

JPS

Dave, I'm with you on the Toyota comment.  Jim 07VH FLOH

On Tue, Sep 29, 2020 at 5:22 PM David Seeds via groups.io <dw_seeds=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Several weeks ago I wrote of this failure “only hot air coming from dash vents”. After troubleshooting to the best of my abilities an after market shop has replaced the compressor for $1,200. Toyota should build a Sprinter size vehicle.
Dave, 2015 chassis, I-4, North Florida, 38,000 miles.

Sherman Johnson

Sadly, MB used to be right up there with Toyota for reliability.

Sherman 2009 VJ -- Western Maryland

bike_for_life2003

Greetings!

So sad to read some might think M-B no longer produces a reliable platform.  IMO, M-B products can go millions of miles if appropriately maintained IAW M-B schedules.  There are ample examples of Sprinters with hundreds of thousands of miles on them.  There are thousands of M-B taxis in Germany with hundreds of thousands of miles on them, too.

Many of we owners are not used to driving vehicles over 100K miles and we generally don't reach the design life of components engines and transmissions.  The German standard mean time between failure for components is 200,000 Km (125,000 Mi).  But when one chooses to finance a new RV that costs almost as much a house, it will take about 9-10 years before the residual value of the vehicle equals what one still owes.  This means one should be prepared to replace some components occasionally.

What I find sad is that we only tend to hear of problems on these forums but generally don't know what the real failure rate of any component is.  I do personally believe that many problems could be avoided by keeping within weight limits, driving judiciously, sticking to the M-B maintenance schedule, using OEM M-B parts/fluids, and having all work done by a Mercedes-certified technician.

My two cents (aka opinion) and your mileage will surely vary.

Happy Trails!

-----------------------
Paul and Christine
06 View 23H in NW FL

younglr98

Toyota does, we see them in MX, but for whatever reason they cannot be imported into USA.
Don’t know details.
Roger07VJ WA

GatorJeff

Hey Dave, sorry to hear of the work. It's events like this that might make one wonder if an extended warranty is really such a bad idea....
Curious, who did you use for repair?
--
Jeff S, '17 Winnebago View J, Gainesville FL

David Seeds

Dash air temp. is 39 degrees, at least ten degrees cooler then when vehicle was new. I disassembled the failed compressor and found as expected a failed clutch.
Jeff, I used Jerry’s A C,  (also general repairs) I had an occasion to speak with him for thirty minutes, I feel good about recommending him.
Dave, Gainesville Fl.

Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPad

On Wednesday, September 30, 2020, 11:57 AM, GatorJeff <Shamis@...> wrote:

Hey Dave, sorry to hear of the work. It's events like this that might make one wonder if an extended warranty is really such a bad idea....
Curious, who did you use for repair?
--
Jeff S, '17 Winnebago View J, Gainesville FL

Kevin K

Hi everyone,

You guys do know that the dash A/C turns off (if it was on)  the recycle air button every 30 minutes or so?  So, if the outside air is hot, then the vehicle  will be drawing hot fresh air in from the outside which would be harder to cool than recirculating the inside air.  Bizarre, but that is how Mercedes does A/C for all their vehicles as far as I know.  This means you have to push the air recirculator button every 30 minutes or so to keep recycling the inside air.   Completely different than almost all other vehicle manufacturers on the planet.  I think most owners know this, but I am just making sure.

Peace,
Kevin in San Diego - 2017  Winnebago View 24V

On Tue, Sep 29, 2020 at 2:22 PM David Seeds via groups.io <dw_seeds=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Several weeks ago I wrote of this failure “only hot air coming from dash vents”. After troubleshooting to the best of my abilities an after market shop has replaced the compressor for $1,200. Toyota should build a Sprinter size vehicle.
Dave, 2015 chassis, I-4, North Florida, 38,000 miles.

--
 Kevin Krebs