Topics

Fixing Potential Awning Motor Short

Dunc 18ND W.CO

Your awning may vary.

A close inspection found the motor bracket cracking, (see post-it corner) and it would wiggle with every retraction in spite of tightening the mounting bolt. I replaced under warranty, and the folks at Carefree Awning of Colorado were very responsive and helpful.

The root cause of the issue is that the motor wire is normally routed between the mount and awning frame, causing it to be unstable. If you route the wire over the motor it becomes stable, but a possible interference occurs with the articulated folding arm and the wires. This can cause a potential short circuit to ground or at least a cut wire.

If you choose to route the wire over the motor, then file a semicircular relief as shown in the photos. A Dremel works nicely. The other image shows from above using an inspection mirror. I use ResQ tape to secure and waterproof the connection ends. Never use electrical tape in such manner.

--
Dunc, W.CO, 2018 N24D
800W Solar, 10kWh Tesla Coach
Gyrocopter Toad

MichiganView

Dunc wrote -

[snip] "The root cause of the issue is that the motor wire is normally routed between the mount and awning frame, causing it to be unstable. If you route the wire over the motor it becomes stable, but a possible interference occurs with the articulated folding arm and the wires. This can cause a potential short circuit to ground or at least a cut wire” [snip].

Dunc, W.CO, 2018 N24D
Gyrocopter Toad

Hmmm, not altogether clear, but here is a *possible* Idea to stabilize the motor - once wire integrity is restored. Is it possible to poke a plastic bag  into the small space in a couple places — then use a straw to inject just a bit of spray foam into the bag? Trim the extra plastic and foam once it has hardened — If later access is need none of the foam will be stuck to the critical parts because of the plastic barrier? If pressure against the awning frame is a concern - use a low expansion foam…    Bill   V12J  MI

Dunc 18ND W.CO

Edited

Bill,

I don't think one can wedge a bag between the motor frame and the awning frame. Besides the two nestle together quite solidly when the wire is not routed between them.
--
Dunc, W.CO, 2018 N24D
Gyrocopter Toad