Topics

How do I turn off steps

Todd Stock

Hi guys.  Is there a setting you know of which allows me to open door without steps deployment. They seem to hit every curb in our travels.  Thanks. Todd.
--
Todd 18View24j

Dale Lucas

Todd,
No off switch for the steps.
However I did add a switch to the step motor negative wire.
Mounted it with the others below the radio at the entry.
Camping World and others have an exact match to the other switches used.
Caution: the area under and around the steps is a danger zone.
Be very careful not to be in that area when the steps are energized in the extended or retracted position.
Work only on the step electrical when all power (both couch and chassis) are confirmed off (disconnected) and the steps do not operate under any conditions.

Dale
12 J
Las Cruces, NM

On Tuesday, October 6, 2020, 12:18:38 PM MDT, Todd Stock via groups.io <stocktl@...> wrote:

Hi guys.  Is there a setting you know of which allows me to open door without steps deployment. They seem to hit every curb in our travels.  Thanks. Todd.
--
Todd 18View24j

Joe Myers

The low tech solution is to use a magnet on the screen door switch which will prevent the steps from deploying.

Joe
17VV

On Oct 6, 2020, at 4:37 PM, Dale Lucas via groups.io <da_lucas@...> wrote:

[...]

Janice Frame

I guess I don't know what a screen door switch is?
Janice 17J

On Tuesday, October 6, 2020, 12:18:38 PM MDT, Todd Stock via groups.io <stocktl=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

Hi guys.  Is there a setting you know of which allows me to open door without steps deployment. They seem to hit every curb in our travels.  Thanks. Todd.
--
Todd 18View24j

retfeds@...

Attached near the bottom of the door, you will find a small magnet encased in a plastic half-inch by one and a half inch (approximate) box. You will find a similar looking reed switch attached to the door facing. The door magnet holds the reed switch open (off) when the door is closed. When the magnet moves away from the reed switch as the door opens, it closes (turn on) to activate the steps.
So, yes a magnet on the wall next to the reed switch will keep it turned off. That didn’t work for me. Guess I was using the wrong kind of magnet because it would not stay in place. For a permanent solution, I attached a simple on/off switch to the reed switch wires. Now when parked next to a curb, I turn the switch off and that interrupts power at the reed switch preventing the steps from opening.

--
Skip
07VH

bike_for_life2003

Todd,

Our View is the "Flinstones" version (06) but we have a switch next to the coach door for the steps.... It cuts power to the steps when in the "Off" position... we use it when parked to avoid running the steps in out every time we open the coach door.  More experienced heads here will pipe up but I believe they should automatically retract when the vehicle is put into drive.
--
-----------------------
Paul and Christine

Dale Lucas

Skip,
That's brilliant,  wish I'd thought of that.
Dale
12 J
Las Cruces,  NM

On Tue, Oct 6, 2020 at 4:07 PM, bike_for_life2003
<guzowskip@...> wrote:

Todd,

Our View is the "Flinstones" version (06) but we have a switch next to the coach door for the steps.... It cuts power to the steps when in the "Off" position... we use it when parked to avoid running the steps in out every time we open the coach door.  More experienced heads here will pipe up but I believe they should automatically retract when the vehicle is put into drive.
--
-----------------------
Paul and Christine
06 View 23H in NW FL

ERH

Paul, they should retract when put in drive.  I have a 2017 24j and called Winnebago for schematic diagrams of the 40 amp circuit breaker and disconnect relay. Their  diagrams are not the best to follow but very similar to military Aviation in that you have to trace using several different pages. My guess is your input from the Drive chassis is open. I love Isle of winnebago's engineering but their execution especially in the wiring installation Department is barely average.  I trace my problem back to the lose 12 volt terminal on the bus bar. It Arc so bad it was black and the circuit breaker was is chard and fell apart when I took it out.  Their installers are definitely not Top Notch. I pulled panels and found routing problems any issues do simply to have hazard give a crap less installation. Their Engineers should take a hard look at quality assurance in electrical installation dept.
Earl

Sent from my Sprint Samsung Galaxy® Note 4.

<guzowskip@...> wrote:

Todd,

Our View is the "Flinstones" version (06) but we have a switch next to the coach door for the steps.... It cuts power to the steps when in the "Off" position... we use it when parked to avoid running the steps in out every time we open the coach door.  More experienced heads here will pipe up but I believe they should automatically retract when the vehicle is put into drive.
--
-----------------------
Paul and Christine
06 View 23H in NW FL

Jake

When I'm parked at camp and want to start the motor without the steps retracting, I simply remove the magnet from my screen door (just 2 screws) and set it aside.  That way I can let the motor run while I go in and out my coach door and the steps stay out.

Using the same logic, if you want to keep the steps in, why not unscrew the magnet from the screen door and tape it to it's partner (the switch)?  I haven't tried this.  It's not a good permanent solution but it might get you buy until you can install a hard cutoff switch like others mentioned.

Janice:  the word "switch" can be used several ways.  The screen door switch mentioned was referring to the piece that the screen door magnet energizes/deenergizes when the screen door opens/closes.  It's not a "you flip it on and off" switch.  It's just the other side of the magnet, with hidden electrical switch inside that automatically switches power on/off.

The Step switch by the light switches can be confusing.  Off means "mostly off but not always off".  The steps will still always extend when you open the door, and always retract when you start the engine and release the brake.

Well almost always:  I did have a passing motorist pull me over to alert me that I was driving with my steps out.  I didn't realize turning the engine on was NOT consistently retracting my steps, so I had to remember to turn the step switch ON and close the door and confirm the steps retracted, before driving.  This problem hasn't happened in a long time--maybe since I did a routine scraping/cleaning of one of the big grounding connections under the coach?

--
Jake
2007 Navion 23H

@Mowind

ERH, I have a 2020 24J and I completely agree re Winnebago’s quality assurance. And it’s even worse with dealerships, at least Camping World. I’m not an engineer (just an economist), but I will myself do all maintenance, troubleshooting, etc. that is within my skill set and capability, even if it could be done “free” under warranty. No one cares as much about doing things properly, when it comes to my coach, as I do. Having said that, I will give Winnebago kudos for shipping replacement parts (at no cost) that I was able to install when problems have occurred.

younglr98

Massive safety issue! Falling out the door will result in ER visit. When parked at curb, don’t use the door! Best way to destroy your step motor assy!!!
If you insist on doing this dangerous step, pun intended, just unplug wire harness from step motor or throw breaker switch so it has no power. VERY dangerous maneuver. I know of 2 people who sustained multiple fractures of legs, arms, and pelvis in one case from falling out of RV. If you do this, make some barrier to using the door from inside!!!!
Roger RN retired, thank Godess
07 VJ E WA

old_b4_my_time

To turn off steps, all you do is get real close to them and whisper "what's a nice foot extender like you doing in a place like this".    Otherwise as someone with a PhD. in engineering from "The School of Hard Knocks" I have to agree with @younglr98 while saying there are no more hard knocks to be found than seeing grandma or your loving spouse splattered all over the pavement there in front of you when they forget the steps are locked up and they then step out the door with nothing under-foot.

Otherwise if you are looking for the expertise of a career rule-breaker and risk-taker and someone who is of irreverent makeup and to a point of disregarding most assumed authoritarians as well as paying no attention to the simplest of safety precautions, then you've come to the right place to ask this question.  For you I have the answer "there are many ways, from magnets to elaborate switching mechanisms" to lock those steps in place.    Now I will show you what I installed which I am happy with until of course I land face-down on some shall we say "very rough terrain" and thus have to sue myself at some point in the future.

What I did was install right next to the door a simple 20A toggle switch with a RED LED panel lamp connected across the terminals of the switch which causes the bulb to glow any time the switch is left open or in the off position (the phantom load of the step controller manages to present enough resistance to keep the red light glowing as long as the steps are turned off via the switch I installed, which in theory with the proper notification to passengers causes everyone to see the red lamp and assume caution to the point of not moving any further until the red lamp is resolved, but in reality is only a shiny prelude to  my own accident waiting for a place to happen.)

Otherwise I'm with you on the cringe-factor of using the coach as a "get about" and often parallel parking while imagining this thing is simply a large SUV and with that, nearly every single time after a quick stop, popping that door open only to hear the steps grinding into the curb.

USE AT YOUR OWN RISK!

Here the red wire is cut under the step motor and a paired 12 gauge stranded lamp cord is run down from the switch and the new red lamp by the door, through the floor and routed under the steps where the red power wire is cut and the two lamp cord lines spliced into it.   As far as the 12V panel mount RED LED, I simply bridged the LED in parallel with the switch contacts.  To test the polarity, in one position it burns bright RED when the switch is turned off and goes off when the switch is turned back on (wiring the opposite way provides nothing in either position).   With the switch turned on, the steps operate normally, with the switch turned off, the steps are locked dead steady in their current position which serves two purposes, either a) stopping the curb scrape and creating permanent injuries to unknowing or forgetting passengers and b) stopping the step from jerking back in to keep me from jetting around the vehicle, in and out while I am doing engine warm up or general test procedures or simply charging some battery and wish for the steps to remain out (and later breaking them off as I pull away with the switch off).   Either way, having my secondary PhD in "Murphy's Law" from my infamous almamater, the place the step breaks off or twists-up to an irreparable limit as it bends on departure to a likely unrecognizable form - whatever happens it will surely be something you didn't plan on.   Thus adding this handy feature will likely at some place and some time in the future cause more grief than happiness...

PhD. "The School of Hard Knocks"

retfeds@...

I hang a Remove-before-flight reminder on the door handle whenever the step switch lockout is activated. So far, when I have needed to use the switch, the curb was high enough to not need steps anyway...
--
Skip
07VH

Todd Stock

Thanks for your assistance.  Finally someone who adds pictures.  I really do need to do this mod.  My Holiday Rambler allowed me to turn off step and I rarely turned it on.  We move alot with View and park almost always parallel when in town.  tired of crawling out of passenger door to exit/enter.  Todd

Jake

Edited

On Wed, Oct 7, 2020 at 03:03 PM, younglr98 wrote:
Massive safety issue! Falling out the door will result in ER visit. When parked at curb, don’t use the door! Best way to destroy your step motor assy!!!
If you insist on doing this dangerous step, pun intended, just unplug wire harness from step motor or throw breaker switch so it has no power. VERY dangerous maneuver. I know of 2 people who sustained multiple fractures of legs, arms, and pelvis in one case from falling out of RV. If you do this, make some barrier to using the door from inside!!!!
Roger RN retired, thank Godess
07 VJ E WA
Good point.  When I do this, I lock the deadbolt to remind myself that something's different (I don't use the deadbolt most other times).

Although half the time I fall out of my RV anyway because I tend to exit faster than the steps can eject.  I still move like a spastic 14 year old.

--
Jake
2007 Navion 23H