Topics

Lichtsinn RV reviews, inspection?

mikevw54@...

Although we have gone tent camping for nearly 50 years, we are now looking to purchase a 2021 View 24D from Lichtsinn, so we're new to RV'ing. Lichtsinn seems to have a "relatively" good rating and I'd assume that the units are checked out well prior to customer pickup since they have a pretty big operation (that could be a negative?). I've seen people recommend having RV's (both used and new) gone over by a professional RV inspector prior to purchase. Just wondering if anyone would have an opinion on the 3rd party inspection on a new RV (or Lichtsinn in particular? Thanks in advance!

Chuck Karr

We purchased our 17 V 24G from Lichtsinn in 2017. Since we are in NC the ordering and purchase process could not have been better.
We ordered in Jan and flew out to IA to take delivery in Apr.
Their sales and service staff are very professional and knowledgable about all of the Winnebago products.
The advantage of buying there for us was there were only 37 miles on the rig when we picked it up and I could ensure proper break in of the engine.
We stayed right at the dealership for two nights with a full tank of water and electric hook up. 
The orientation was thorough and allowed us to ask any questions with the certified tech with us.
Fully tested every component and system in the rig before we left for home.
I highly recommend them for your purchase.
Our experience was great!

On Tue, Oct 13, 2020, 11:32 AM <mikevw54@...> wrote:
Although we have gone tent camping for nearly 50 years, we are now looking to purchase a 2021 View 24D from Lichtsinn, so we're new to RV'ing. Lichtsinn seems to have a "relatively" good rating and I'd assume that the units are checked out well prior to customer pickup since they have a pretty big operation (that could be a negative?). I've seen people recommend having RV's (both used and new) gone over by a professional RV inspector prior to purchase. Just wondering if anyone would have an opinion on the 3rd party inspection on a new RV (or Lichtsinn in particular? Thanks in advance!

waydigs

Mike
Yes, I do have an opinion.  Unless you are wealthy and just can't stand the thought  of owning someone else's RV, buy a  little used 2 or 3 year old VIEW from a private party.  Yes, it takes a bit more work to find what you want, you may have to make some concessions, but  YOU  WILL SAVE  about 1/3 the price of a new one.  AND,  presumably, all the bugs will have been worked out by someone else.   I also love the saying "buy your last RV first !! "  Having owned many RV's (not following my own advice) I can tell you that the View's are pretty small for long trips or staying somewhere for the winter.  Yes, many have done it, and do do it, and love it.  But  IF  I was going to be out more than a week or two at a time, I would go with a two slide 28--30 footer minimum.   That extra 5 feet is not much harder to drive, but gives you so much more room.   I Will also say unequivocally, the VIEW is the best built RV I have owned and the MBZ chassis is bulletproof  (and)  you will get 16 ++ MPG
Wayne '16 "V" model in Ca.

On Tue, Oct 13, 2020 at 8:32 AM <mikevw54@...> wrote:

Richard Filcoff

I did not purchase my new to me RV from Lichtsinn(bought it from a friend), however, in all of my dealings with Lichtsinn since that time, they have been a first-rate organization.

Rick Filcoff

From: discussion@view-naviontech.groups.io <discussion@view-naviontech.groups.io> On Behalf Of Chuck Karr
Sent: Tuesday, October 13, 2020 10:54 AM
To: discussion@view-naviontech.groups.io
Subject: Re: [view-naviontech] Lichtsinn RV reviews, inspection?

We purchased our 17 V 24G from Lichtsinn in 2017. Since we are in NC the ordering and purchase process could not have been better.

We ordered in Jan and flew out to IA to take delivery in Apr.

Their sales and service staff are very professional and knowledgable about all of the Winnebago products.

The advantage of buying there for us was there were only 37 miles on the rig when we picked it up and I could ensure proper break in of the engine.

We stayed right at the dealership for two nights with a full tank of water and electric hook up. 

The orientation was thorough and allowed us to ask any questions with the certified tech with us.

Fully tested every component and system in the rig before we left for home.

I highly recommend them for your purchase.

Our experience was great!

On Tue, Oct 13, 2020, 11:32 AM <mikevw54@...> wrote:

Michael Powers

I believe Lichtsinn is a very good dealer. Haven’t purchased anything from them other than parts and had service done there and was extremely satisfied. They have power hookups onsite so you can stay overnight in your unit and check everything out when you take delivery. They can then address any issues before you leave. I highly recommend you stay there as most new rigs have some issues that need to be addressed, even minor issues.

I have heard from numerous customers of Lichtsinn that they will give as much as a 33% discount on new units. Not sure if this is the case now as RVs are in such demand due to Covid.  

On Oct 13, 2020, at 8:32 AM, mikevw54@... wrote:

Donald Borden

We purchased a new 2014 NV from Lichtsinn.  Drove our 2000 Subaru Forester from CO.  Drove it home after a visit to Mayo w/ Subaru in tow.

Really good experience.  Would highly recommend it if you can. 

Our only regret was that we purchased a model w/o a dinette which we regret to this day as we eat 3 meals/da. on a wobbly little table.  Also laptops are much convenient sitting on a table than in your lap.
DonB, 2014 NV, SS, CO & Hsn., TX

On Tue, Oct 13, 2020 at 10:42 AM Michael Powers via groups.io <MPowers112=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
I believe Lichtsinn is a very good dealer. Haven’t purchased anything from them other than parts and had service done there and was extremely satisfied. They have power hookups onsite so you can stay overnight in your unit and check everything out when you take delivery. They can then address any issues before you leave. I highly recommend you stay there as most new rigs have some issues that need to be addressed, even minor issues.

I have heard from numerous customers of Lichtsinn that they will give as much as a 33% discount on new units. Not sure if this is the case now as RVs are in such demand due to Covid.  

On Oct 13, 2020, at 8:32 AM, mikevw54@... wrote:

stenor

Mike,

You have read the posts in this forum and you still want to own a RV? You must be a glutton for punishment.

Two important criteria before you buy:
1) Are you mechanical and enjoy working on things?
2) Do you have RV parking at your home? Having the RV at your door sure makes it easier to work on all the things that you will spend time fixing.

Of course you will have a one year warranty if you buy new. I hope you live near a Winnebago dealer as your new coach will likely spend a fair amount of time there. And expect a two week wait to get the appointment. 

Even if you spend a couple nights at Lichtsinn to be sure everything works, you may leave without everything working properly. Parts are in short 
supply due to Covid, and may not be in stock. 

I bought new in January, and regret it.
The Winnebago quality seems to be missing, and the warranty process has been frustrating. The warranty is only as good as to what the dealer is able or willing to fix. And getting an appointment and/or parts in these Covid times is frustrating. 

I would recommend renting before you buy, as a tryout. Just to see if you like the size, both for living space and driving/parking. To see how you handle the daily routine of RV camping (hookups, emptying tanks, etc.).

And then buy used. You will save thousands of dollars and someone else will have dealt with the warranty process.

Best of luck!

Steve
2019 Navion 24G
formerly 2006 View 23H

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy smartphone.

-------- Original message --------
Date: 10/13/20 8:32 AM (GMT-08:00)
Subject: [view-naviontech] Lichtsinn RV reviews, inspection?

Dick Stevenson

Hi all,
As to the advice of getting extra space of a 28-30 footer with 2 push-outs, what have been the experiences of nat'l and state park restrictions on the length of the rig. Casual observation on my part over the years seems to indicate that above 28 feet gets you turned away at times.
Also, I would suggest that the size of an RV is very personal. And, although many people “move up”, sometimes pretty quickly, many get used to and then prefer “living small” and find that having more space is over-rated.
Thanks, Dick S

Richard Filcoff

We have travelled to several parks for which 25 feet was the limit.  Most of the larger parks to which we have travelled allow up to 35 feet, however, not all of the campsites can accommodate 35 feet and even in some of those that allow 35 feet, it is not practical to drive around the campground with a 35 foot RV.  I believe you would be able to drive and  camp in most campgrounds with a 28 to 30 foot RV.

Rick Filcoff

From: discussion@view-naviontech.groups.io <discussion@view-naviontech.groups.io> On Behalf Of Dick Stevenson
Sent: Tuesday, October 13, 2020 2:56 PM
Subject: Re: [view-naviontech] Lichtsinn RV reviews, inspection?

Hi all,
As to the advice of getting extra space of a 28-30 footer with 2 push-outs, what have been the experiences of nat'l and state park restrictions on the length of the rig. Casual observation on my part over the years seems to indicate that above 28 feet gets you turned away at times.
Also, I would suggest that the size of an RV is very personal. And, although many people “move up”, sometimes pretty quickly, many get used to and then prefer “living small” and find that having more space is over-rated.
Thanks, Dick S

waydigs

Mike:
Re-read my post from this morning---Steve just confirmed it.
Wayne '16 "V"

ERH

Yes and Yes.  I echo waydigs feedback.  We could not be happier with our 2017 Navion.  Best advice: buy a 2 -3 year old View/Navion private party used.  Took me almost 6 months, but our Navion is perfect.  Fully loaded except for auto level which I strongly do not recommend...eats into the Cargo Carrying Capacity (CCC).  Our CCC is 1,300lbs.  That said, you must check in detail the warrantee for the MBZ since few owners bother to follow.  The biggest issues with MBZ maintenance is their 2 year or 25K miles Schedule A whichever comes first.  Most owners only see the 25K and void their warrantee since they go over the 2 year mark before getting schedule A..  So, in looking for a good used Motorhome MBZ must be followed to the letter and you can ONLY Rely on MBZ updated schedule sheet...not the one you will find in your MBZ booklet.  In plain language MBZ states they can update schedules at any time.  I probably went through 30 unites on my short list.  Next is the roof....Most critical and must be gone over with a microscope...reputable professional a must if you don't know what to look for.

Finally, Even on the New Motorhome, Winnebago's installation of the wiring is marginal.  So, ask Lichtsinn to remove the passenger's seat so you AND they can view the wiring.  The installers did not attach the 2 or 3 relays on the rear bracket, routing was soo bad caused a short, and the buss bars must be check to ensure secured connections and proper stress and strain if the bundle not correctly routed.  Next, We have the J and I was absolutely shocked at the slipshod wiring installation.  So, ask Lichtsinn to open up the compartment behind the circuit breaker panel.  I mean the Winnebago engineering is awesome, but evidence shows their installers are NOT Professional and this will cause you problems down the road and you will have to 1 pay for the repair and 2. be without your motorhome for a while.
Earl   

bike_for_life2003

Dear mikevw54,

Welcome to the group. 

Couple of short points.  I'll send you a longer reply privately but don't want to "gum up" our forum here with things that have already been hashed out many times.

1.  Lichtsinn is only one mile from the Winnebago assembly plant and for all intents and purposes is the Winnebago factory showroom.  They only sell Winnebagos (at least new vehicles) Winnebago's reputation depends on Lichtsinn's customer service and they know it.  IMO, buying new from Lichtsinn would be the lowest risk approach if you will buy new from afar.

2.  If you do buy new, you will get two warranties: one from Winnebago for the "house" and one from Mercedes for the Sprinter chassis.  They vary in length/coverage and you will deal with different companies for warranty claims.... no one-stop shopping....  That said, you will also be able to claim warranty coverage on individual house components like fridge, stove, TV, etc from the respective manufacturer.

3.  New RVs are incredibly expensive (even given so-called "deep" discounts off MSRP) and depreciate very quickly.  If you must finance, the vehicle will not be worth what you still owe until about the 9-10 year point...  Additionally, if financed the bank will demand a certain level of insurance to protect their interest and low deductible can be pretty expensive over the term they hold the note.

4.  Size is in the eye of the beholder and depends a lot on your intentions... travel or live longer term in one spot.  Some call the View/Navion "small" but we moved up from a Rialta and found the View to be cavernous by comparison.  That said, since the View/Navion is no longer than a big pick-up truck it will fit in a "normal" parking spot and is easy to maneuver. 

5.  Model year.  In Germany model years are based on calendar year and so your 2021 View will most likely be built on a 2020 Sprinter chassis... Not a big deal but always important to get any chassis maintenance done by VIN rather than so-called model year. 

6.  Maintenance/Modifications.  Any changes to the vehicle during the warranty period may void the respective warranty.  

These are just a few considerations.  I will send more separately.  BTW, we sign our messages here with name, location, year/model of V/N.  That helps others here reach with assistance, especially if they are near your location.

Bottom Line:  Get ready for a new adventure and be ready for some challenges but that's all part of the fun! 
-----------------------
Paul and Christine
06 View 23H in NW FL

bike_for_life2003

Dear mikevw54,

Welcome to the community!  Short reply here... longer directly to you.

Bottom Line:  RVs are not cars or pick-up trucks.... they demand a different line of thinking to make sense.

1.  Lichtsinn. One mile from Winnebago plant and de facto Winnebago factory showroom.... Also Winnebago's part suppliers to owners.  Impeccable reputation for customer support.  IMO, best option for buying at a distance.

2.  Warranty.  IF you buy new, you will get two... one year from Winnebago on the "house" and 3 yr/36k miles from Mercedes on the Sprinter chassis.  You will deal with two different companies for warranty claims...

3.  Price.  New RVs are incredibly overpriced... they offer so-called "deep discounts" but even so they cost more than each of my first three houses.  The rub is that real estate generally appreciates while RVs depreciate very quickly... IF you must finance the vehicle at current RV loan interest rates the vehicle will not be worth what you still owe till sometime between the 9th and 10th year...

4.  Insurance.  Related to price, if one must finance the lender will demand a low deductible to protect their investment.  This can cost thousands over the life of the loan.

5.  Size.  The View is no longer than a large pick-up truck or delivery van.  As such it can fit into a "normal" parking space at a grocery store or restaurant.  Some may say the View is "small" inside but we moved up from a Rialta and found the View "cavernous" by comparison.  It's all a matter of perspective.  Many national/state parks have only back-in spots and even if they have pull-through spots they are more expensive.

6.  Floorplan.  Depends on your intentions... traveling or longer-term stays...   One of the reasons we upgraded from our Rialta was to avoid the hassle of climbing over each other in the middle of the night to get to the toilet... We like having a dinette for many reasons.  We are mostly travelers do it's nice to be able to button up and get on the road quickly.  The View is nice for that.

7.  Drive Train.  The View definitely drives and rides like a truck.  IMO, don't expect to get your typical sedan or even SUV ride... it's harsher and noisier... but not egregious.  Sprinters after 2010 require Diesel Exhaust Fluid (DEF) to meet emission standards.  Early DEF models had some issues but the newer Sprinters are well tuned in now.  I think you should expect about 16mpg but if you factor in the DEF the cost per mile is a bit higher than pre-DEF models.

8.  Towing.  The newer Sprinters/Views are rated for 5K lb tow load.  We don't tow because the View is so convenient for local travel...  Towing reduces fuel mileage and life expectancy of drive train, brake, and suspension components...

9.  Paint.  Full auto-style paint is a personal choice but does require more maintenance than the typical white gel coat over fiberglass finish.  White finish vehicles are also easier to cool in hot environments.

Hope these thoughts help guide your decision. Again welcome and happy trails... It's a life adventure!

-----------------------
Paul and Christine
06 View 23H in NW FL

mikevw54@...

Thanks much Paul and Christine, Earl, Wayne and all who have given us some much great advice. Also thanks to Dennis who offered to call me to discuss in length his experiences. We'll plan on having a inspection done on whatever we decide to purchase, either new or used. We had been considering a used 2020 24D model with 7500 miles in Omaha, NE or the new 2021 at Lichtsinn. Thanks again to all!

Mike and Nancy

waydigs

Mike & Nancy:
I think many of us would be interested in what you (might) pay for a 2 year old vs. a brand new one.  If you don't mind?
Wayne
'16"V" model in Ca.

mikevw54@...

Hello Wayne,
Well, we were looking on rvtrader.com and there were a few of 2018 thru 2019 24D models listed. The one that we were seriously considering was a 2020 from a private party with 7,500 miles in Omaha - he just dropped his price $10K down to $129,900. This is still a little high since there's a 2020 with a private party in Piedmont, SC with 5,900 miles listed for $124,900. However, we now plan on going with a new 2021 at Lichtsinn coming in next month which is priced at $152,000 (includes the entertainment system, power/swivel seats and lithium battery options). Part of our decision is based on having a relationship with a dealer relatively close to us in an adjacent state. FYI, we do plan on having it inspected by Rob Wilhelm/Pro RVI prior to taking delivery.
Mike and Nancy
2021 24D in WI (hopefully!)

waydigs

Thank you Mike for sharing that information.  I am sure you will make the right decision for you, and hope you like your View as much as (most) of us do.
Wayne '16 "V" model in Ca.