Topics

Mercedes driver door window regulator - glass has come loose

CHARLES E

On my driver door the glass has become disconnected from the window regulator lift mechanism.  So if my window is half way down, I can grab the glass and slide it up and down by hand without using the switch.  And sometimes when I lower the window with the switch, the lift arm will go down but the glass stays up until the glass all of a sudden drops with a clunk as it catches up with the lift arm.

I think it will be a matter of getting in their and using the proper adhesive to reconnect the bottom of the glass to reconnect the glass in the channel of the lift mechanism.   My questions.  Is this a do it your self.   Or would I call someone like Safelite.  Or go to any body shop.  Nearest dealer is almost 200 miles.
Charlie, 2011 NavionJ. 2010 chassis.  Michigan

Paul Rouis

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B088KS6QZH/ref=cm_sw_r_em_apa_i_SsXHFbNKJ7869

Here is the part I purchased.
Paul
07VJNY

Sent via the Samsung Galaxy Fold, an AT&T 5G Evolution capable smartphone

On my driver door the glass has become disconnected from the window regulator lift mechanism.  So if my window is half way down, I can grab the glass and slide it up and down by hand without using the switch.  And sometimes when I lower the window with the switch, the lift arm will go down but the glass stays up until the glass all of a sudden drops with a clunk as it catches up with the lift arm.

I think it will be a matter of getting in their and using the proper adhesive to reconnect the bottom of the glass to reconnect the glass in the channel of the lift mechanism.   My questions.  Is this a do it your self.   Or would I call someone like Safelite.  Or go to any body shop.  Nearest dealer is almost 200 miles.
Charlie, 2011 NavionJ. 2010 chassis.  Michigan

Paul Rouis

Charles
If it is the same as mine the bottom track is bonded to the glass and the regulator arm has a little plastic clip that rides in it. I had to do a temp fix on mine at a campground when I shut the door with the window half way down -wont do that again. Put some tape on the window to hold it up so it doesn't fall all the way in and possibly crack.

I found a you tube video showing how to remove the handle and door liner. I was able to get the stud on the regulator into the groove to hold it in the up position in 20 min or so once I had looked at the video and knew what to do. For most cars the clip is a little $5 plastic part but I could not find one to fit a sprinter other than some guy that 3D printed a heavier duty one and was selling for $25 on ebay. I ended up buying one on amazon that was a custom cast brass one. It was more but it surely won't break again. Have not put it in yet but  the temp fix held up for a few hundred miles home just fine. The oem route required buying a whole new regulator and swapping it out. Way more $ and hassle.
[...]

Looks like 2010 has a different regulator than the T1N and from looking at a picture of the regulator you might be able to reinsert the window if nothing actually broke. I would think any body shop or glass guy could do it if you don't want to diy.
[...]

lou Thomson

My $50 glass insurance covers that doesnt yours?I have found if the window is broken insurance covers it I always have a seperate glass policy as i go through a few windsheilds a year and it pays for itself  09VJ

Dale Bradford

I did basically the same thing as the part from Amazon with a bolt and a roller nut out of the specialty nut's from Lowes it may have cost me around $3.00. If I would have found the part from Amazon I would have went with that and saved the 3 trips to Lowes to get it right, but it does work great and I don't need much of an excuse to go to Lowe's or Home Depot.

Dale
07 23J
Fort Myers

younglr98

Charlie,
I believe there are also write ups about this Known issue onnSprinter source forum as well.
Some creative solutions there.
Roger 07VJ Columbia River

CHARLES E

On Wed, Oct 14, 2020 at 07:26 AM, CHARLES E wrote:

I removed the inside door panel following instructions on you tube.

The bottom edge of the glass is squeezed between two brackets covered by rubber.  I tightened up a pair of hex nuts to make the brackets squeeze the glass tighter as they had loosened so much that the glass was no longer clamped between the brackets.   All fixed.  Now the glass is secured to the window regulator arm so they go up and down together.  I did notice that there is no real sound insulation in there, which I believe Mercedes added sometime after our  2010 chassis.  Charlie, 2011 Navion J.