Topics

Mobil 1 question, yes another oil query

Dave Robertson

As a new to us owner of a 17G I want to ensure all routine maintenance is done. It now has 14,000 miles on it so want to do an oil and filter change. Looking at the oil specification and pricing ( I prefer do do my own maintenance) see the spec is Mercedes 229.52. Mobil 1 ‘Turbo diesel’ oil is reasonably priced on Amazon but is listed as meeting Mercedes 229.3. Anyone know wether that will be ok?

Also if you have recommendations for best price on fuel and oil filter thats appreciated too.

Dave R

paisleydale

NO. You need oil with the 229.52 spec. The 229.3 is for gasoline and the 5 cyl diesel engines.

You need Mobil 1 ESP or Valvoline MST just to name a couple. Good luck, this is the easiest oil change I have ever done.

As far as fuel filters, you have to have to see which one you have, most likely the 5-pin one. I just got 2 from Amazon, they were open box returns both new and unused. These 2 cost me 5$ more than just 1 new one.

Dale
2014 VP 24V
OR

ArtistsView

Dave,

You might want to check out IDPARTS.COM. They advertise themselves as "diesel experts". They have "kits" for Sprinter service, answer e-mails fast, have great prices and ship fast. Here is a link to the Service A kit for your 2017 (2016 chassis). You can choose the brand of oil as well as options. Something to consider and/or bookmark. After reading reviews of them over at the SprinterSource Forum I began to use them for my diesel Jeep and View.

Steve
2017 J

Dennis Foley

A second vote for idparts.com. Get most of my stuff from them, and we used to have a diesel Jetta and got parts from them also. The owner is a diesel enthusiast and is very knowledgeable.

James Selm

From time to time throughout the year Mobil 1 will post a rebate program on their www. Walmart is never posted as "authorized seller" I purchased both the Mobi1 filter and 0w-40 oil at Walmart and submit the required documents and get my rebate. Normally the filter is not part of the rebate, however Walmart is now offering the Mobil 1 filters in the range of $10.00 ea. Oil in 5 quart bottle nets out in the $3-4 per quart range. Jim 07VH FLOH

On Sat, Sep 26, 2020 at 3:32 PM ArtistsView <sjbendy@...> wrote:
Dave,

You might want to check out IDPARTS.COM. They advertise themselves as "diesel experts". They have "kits" for Sprinter service, answer e-mails fast, have great prices and ship fast. Here is a link to the Service A kit for your 2017 (2016 chassis). You can choose the brand of oil as well as options. Something to consider and/or bookmark. After reading reviews of them over at the SprinterSource Forum I began to use them for my diesel Jeep and View.

Steve
2017 J

Stephen Dasaro

Yes Walmart is cheap but don’t we need Mobil 1 ESP to satisfy MB spec? Its only been available in qts.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

James Selm

O'Reily's has all Mobil 1 on sale in 5 quart jugs @ $32 or 33.00   Jim 07VH FLOH

On Wed, Sep 30, 2020 at 6:53 PM Stephen Dasaro <sdasaro785@...> wrote:

Yes Walmart is cheap but don’t we need Mobil 1 ESP to satisfy MB spec? Its only been available in qts.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Bernie Zephro

BJs has 6 quart packs of Mobil 1 esp for $30.00

On Wednesday, September 30, 2020, 11:52:33 PM EDT, James Selm <james.selm@...> wrote:

O'Reily's has all Mobil 1 on sale in 5 quart jugs @ $32 or 33.00   Jim 07VH FLOH

On Wed, Sep 30, 2020 at 6:53 PM Stephen Dasaro <sdasaro785@...> wrote:

Yes Walmart is cheap but don’t we need Mobil 1 ESP to satisfy MB spec? Its only been available in qts.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

jbjlock26

Just going to throw this out there, to try to dispel any misinformation for owners of newer units.

Mobil 1 is a brand that produces numerous different oils for many applications. The owners of older 5-cyl Sprinters can certainly buy oil in 5 qt jugs at O'Reilly's.

If you own a V6 Sprinter that requires DEF, your REQUIRED oil must carry the MB229.52 certification. This is marketed as Mobil 1 ESP, for Emission System Protection. This is not marketed in North America in 5 qt jugs, only 1qt bottles or 55 gallon drums.

Some auto parts stores may be able to order it for you, but don't allow a "helpful" employee to suggest something else on the shelf. Generally, NAPA runs a sale about 4 times a year on Mobil 1 ESP.

Re: Mobil 1 question, yes another oil query

James Selm
Sep 30

O'Reily's has all Mobil 1 on sale in 5 quart jugs @ $32 or 33.00   Jim 07VH FLOH

jbjlock26

Just going to throw this out there, to try to dispel any misinformation for owners of newer units.

Mobil 1 is a brand that produces numerous different oils for many applications. The owners of older 5-cyl Sprinters can certainly buy oil in 5 qt jugs at O'Reilly's.

If you own a V6 Sprinter that requires DEF, your REQUIRED oil must carry the MB229.52 certification. This is marketed as Mobil 1 ESP, for Emission System Protection. This is not marketed in North America in 5 qt jugs, only 1qt bottles or 55 gallon drums.

Some auto parts stores may be able to order it for you, but don't allow a "helpful" employee to suggest something else on the shelf. Generally, NAPA runs a sale about 4 times a year on Mobil 1 ESP.

Sorry, forgot to sign....

John in PA
2016 View 24V

Re: Mobil 1 question, yes another oil query

James Selm
Sep 30

O'Reily's has all Mobil 1 on sale in 5 quart jugs @ $32 or 33.00   Jim 07VH FLOH

rb3232 atgmail

I think this applies to all V6 Sprinters not just V6 Sprinters that require DEF.

6sp2

On Oct 1, 2020, at 23:29, jbjlock26 <jbjlock26@...> wrote:

[...]

I see that there's a Mobil 1 oil that says European Car formula on label (doesn't have the ESP on label) but yet on back says it meets the Mercedes Benz 229.3 and 229.5 specs, can i assume this is ok to use in the Sprinter 3.0 liter diesel ??
Also how often does any of you change the Fuel filter - and how difficult is it to do so ?
thanks,
dc 2011 View K

On Thu, Oct 1, 2020 at 2:04 PM rb3232 atgmail <rb3232@...> wrote:
[...]

Sep 30   #54890

O'Reily's has all Mobil 1 on sale in 5 quart jugs @ $32 or 33.00   Jim 07VH FLOH

Paul Rouis

No it is not OK for V6 NCV3 Sprinter (2007 and newer).

You must use the low-ash formula ESP ending .51/.52 check your manual.

Could very likely give you problem with your emissions system.

This is OK for T1N I5 engine only. (2006 and older chassis, 07 and older View/Navion).

Not difficult to do an oil change but you MUST place the O rings on the filter housing correctly and install with proper torque. Simply hand tight or guessing could result in catastrophic loss of oil/engine failure. Also short fill a little and warm engine and recheck and add as needed. Overfilling is a problem and taking some out if you have a drain bolt vs an aftermarket valve on the pan is a pain.

I did mine after about 10kmi use but I also live where I don’t have to deal with biodiesel and we get winter blend diesel. I also add Optilube fuel treatment to each tank. The fuel filter is a bit trickier with the spring type clamps on the lines. Was able to do it but I purchased special fuel line hose clamps to keep on hand in case one of the clicker types snaps on me.

Paul

07VJNY

[...]

I don't find a torque spec in my manual, what do u use ?
dc 11VKVA

On Fri, Oct 2, 2020 at 12:01 PM Paul Rouis <prouis@...> wrote:

[...]

It is printed right on the housing. I believe it is 25Nm/18 lb ft but I am not at the rig.

You will need a cap wrench with the correct number of flats to match the housing.

Paul

07VJNY

[...]

"sailorbobc30@gmail.com

No it does not meet requirements of at least my 2016 View.  I don’t know details of earlier engines. ESP does meet specs.

Bob

On Oct 2, 2020, at 11:11 AM, Dan Collogan <dan.collogan@...> wrote:

[...]

MB 229.5 is not the same as 229.51 and 229.52. Read your owners manual for the spec that your Sprinter requires. If it is 2007 or newer, it will require at least 229.51 and more recently the spec was updated to 229.52. Failure to use the correct oil could result in problems ($$$) with your emission control systems.

John in PA
2016 View 24V

Re: Mobil 1 question, yes another oil query
From: Dan Collogan
Date: Fri, 02 Oct 2020 11:35:19 EDT

I see that there's a Mobil 1 oil that says European Car formula on label (doesn't have the ESP on label) but yet on back says it meets the Mercedes Benz 229.3 and 229.5 specs, can i assume this is ok to use in the Sprinter 3.0 liter diesel ??
Also how often does any of you change the Fuel filter - and how difficult is it to do so ?
thanks,
dc 2011 View K

lou Thomson

I change my fuel filter every 2 oil changes or if i have hit some truckstops every year as truck stop diesel can not be that clean, I also use Motul oil has better performance then mobil 1 does and the last blackstone test I had done was great...09VJ