Topics

NOx error message

Mitch Miglis

On 2014 14VJ, 46K mi, check engine light (CEL) came on. ScanGuage indicated code P2201, NOx sensor circuit code. Did some online research and looks like an expensive repair through dealer. Have driven 60 mi.,, CEL still on. No performance issues noticed. DEF level OK. I understand that a fix is mandatory or we go to limited starts soon.

Any help or suggestions? Can I resent code with ScanGuage and keep fingers crossed for non-recurrence? I have seen a DIY video on YouTube, but wonder if this is doable on this rig. Hesitant to replace NOx sensor itself as problem may be elsewhere. Is it possible to unplug sensor and clean without electrically disconnecting? Any help or advice is greatly appreciated.

Mitch Miglis
2014 VJ
Melbourne, FL

Mike beer

Just got stung with this myself. DEF heater out followed by both NOx sensors plus 10 start countdown. 2015 with 30k. Just out of 5yr/100,000 mi warranty. Unable to clear CEL with scangauge.
$3200 repair bill at my local Sprinter/Metris dedicated repair facility.
Wrote to CEO of MB USA. They offered me a $350 coupon for future repairs.
Same failure happened to my dad’s Sprinter at the 6 year point. This is a known issue and I’m disappointed in MB.
That said, we are on a trip from Minneapolis to the east coast and the rig is working great and I still love it. Downside is my kids will inherit $3200 less...
Mike Beer
15VJ
MPLS

--
Mike Beer
15VJ

David Preston

We went through the same thing with our 11J just out of 7 year emissions warranty. With a 14 you must be close. I had an excellent mechanic who told us this was a dealer only repair because they have to be paired with the main ECU which requires specialized Mercedes equipment. There are two and they always replace both at the same time for the same reason. All my research at the time confirmed this so I ended up biting the bullet and having the dealer do the work.

BTW this is a known Sprinter problem so you could beg Mercedes to cover it if you are barely out of warranty. I fiddled around too long looking for alternatives so it was out of warranty more than a year and they declined.

Dave
20 VD

On Aug 22, 2020, at 6:35 AM, Mitch Miglis <mmiglis@...> wrote:

On 2014 14VJ, 46K mi, check engine light (CEL) came on. ScanGuage indicated code P2201, NOx sensor circuit code. Did some online research and looks like an expensive repair through dealer. Have driven 60 mi.,, CEL still on. No performance issues noticed. DEF level OK. I understand that a fix is mandatory or we go to limited starts soon.

Any help or suggestions? Can I resent code with ScanGuage and keep fingers crossed for non-recurrence? I have seen a DIY video on YouTube, but wonder if this is doable on this rig. Hesitant to replace NOx sensor itself as problem may be elsewhere. Is it possible to unplug sensor and clean without electrically disconnecting? Any help or advice is greatly appreciated.

Mitch Miglis
2014 VJ
Melbourne, FL

Steve Alabaster

Not sure about cleaning sensors but i remember reading that it can be done.  But a bad nox sensor will cause the dreaded countdown. If you haven’t had a new sensor replaced, you may have a first generation nox sensor, prone to failure. Being replaced with 5th gen sensors, much more reliable. Be sure your federal emsision warranty may possibly still be active or not. Some may go for 8 years depending on the state it’s registered in.  Can find info in the MB Sprinter manual. Good luck

steve 16NJ  WA

Donald Borden

The "MB Warning Light Knock Off Racket/Incompetence?".  I am getting EBS, Speed Sensor & Sway Control lights, along w/ loss of cruise every time I drive for several hrs.  Take it to shops the next day & no lights, not a clue of what to do to fix?  Just start replacing stuff @ big $$ & eventually might fix it?  This is @ 30k mi on a 2014 NV.  Really hate to drive w/o EBS & cruise!

Have a Chevy Colorado w/ diesel @ 45 k, pulling a horse trailer thru the Rockies & never saw a light.  So far.

Since I believe in people's honesty, I am left w/ MB Incompetence!
DonB, 2014 NV, SS, CO & Hsn., TX

On Sat, Aug 22, 2020 at 10:18 AM Mike beer via groups.io <z.mbeer=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

Stephen Westervelt

Check your turn signal/ brake light bulbs in rear. They will take out the cruise control.

On Sat, Aug 22, 2020, 9:47 AM Donald Borden <stmbtdon@...> wrote:
[...]

Have they checked wheel speed sensors?  Usually cause multilight dysfunction in the dash along with loss f cruise control. If bad may be covered under emission warranty.

Steve  16NJ  WA

Simon Carrick

Steve, are speed sensors covered by the emissions warranty? I just had the trio lights in regards to Electronic stability program Light up on my 14 VJ with less than 20,000 miles. Hoekstra transportation in Troy Michigan replaced the left rear speed sensor. Drove 250 miles back to my home in Petoskey Michigan. Problem seems to have been corrected. I did not know that the speed sensor would have anything to do with the emissions warranty and if so where would I look for more information on it.

Thanks in advance for any information or guidance on this topic that you might be able to provide.
BTW , Does anyone know of a reliable competent reasonable repair facility in northern lower Michigan. I hate having to drive 250 miles to get maintenance and repair on my View.
Simon Carrick, 14 VJ, 20 K miles, Petoskey Michigan

Frank Hughes

When our 2017 24G did that, it was a rear wheel speed sensor.

Ken Marr

Simon,

Wheel speed sensors are covered by the 5yr/100k mile emissions warranty, but NOT the 7yr/70k mile CARB emissions warranty. Check your warranty booklet for details and the myriad of things covered by the emissions warranty.

Ken
11J (on the 3rd pair of NOx sensors, all replaced under warranty, the latest as a goodwill gesture)
WA

Steve Alabaster

Warranty info as Ken pointed out. If it is a wheel speed sensor and if it is recently out of emission warranty, I think sime people have appealed to MB to help reduce cost. That’s just my less than good memory.   Good luck

Steve  16NJ  WA

Donald Borden

Hello Simon,  Your problem sounds like my 2 yr. nightmare.  Was your prob. intermittent after a couple of hrs. of driving & then OK after cool down?  My European Repair Shop here in Steamboat Springs, CO, has brought up some speed sensor codes & specifically left rear, I believe, but nothing definitive enough to warrant a changeout, at least on his readout meter which is probably not as good as dealer equipment.  My problem is also the same as yours as all the 3 Sprinter Dealers in CO are 3+ hrs. away in Dvr.
My I ask, how much Hoekstra in Troy charged you for speed sensor replacement & were there other parts, settings, diagnostic charges involved?
Appreciate any info that you think might help.
Have my fingers crossed for you & me re Mercedes covering any of this under emissions warranty!
DonB, 2014 NV, 30k mi, SS, CO & Hsn., TX

On Sat, Aug 22, 2020 at 11:46 AM Simon Carrick via groups.io <benacorn96=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Steve, are speed sensors covered by the emissions warranty? I just had the trio lights in regards to  Electronic stability program Light up on my 14 VJ with less than 20,000 miles. Hoekstra transportation in Troy Michigan replaced the left rear speed sensor. Drove 250 miles back to my home in Petoskey Michigan. Problem seems to have been corrected. I did not know that the speed sensor would have anything to do with the emissions warranty and if so where would I look for more information on it.

Thanks in advance for any information or guidance on this topic that you might be able to provide.
BTW , Does anyone know of a reliable competent reasonable repair facility in northern lower Michigan. I hate having to drive 250 miles to get maintenance      and repair on my View.
Simon Carrick, 14 VJ, 20 K miles, Petoskey Michigan

Stephen Dasaro

If it’s the wheel speed sensor a code reader will tell you which one it is (theres 4) Then a Amazon or other online purchase of a $69.00 Borg replacement and a half hour under the rv will have you up and running after a short tutorial on utube.  Or pay MB $500-$600 for the repair. Your choice. Its one bolt and am unplug/replug. Give me a break. I don’t think you have to remove the tire/wheel either as you can see it from behind

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

MichiganView

Steve wrote: —-
If it’s the wheel speed sensor a code reader will tell you which one it is (theres 4) Then a Amazon or other online purchase of a $69.00 Borg replacement and a half hour under the rv will have you up and running after a short tutorial on utube.  Or pay MB $500-$600 for the repair. Your choice. Its one bolt and am unplug/replug. Give me a break. I don’t think you have to remove the tire/wheel either as you can see it from behind

Thanks for your info Steve! — Several years ago our 12VJ was @ MB for warranty work of another nature, but I asked the tech to take a look at our wheel sensors because of reports of corrosion having causes issues for some owners. he did check the wheel sensors - told me they all looked good and checked out OK. However, as a ‘preventive measure he put some sealant around the sensor to keep out dirt and contaminants’ ? I was not very familiar with the sensors so did not question him further - just told him thanks! With nearly 60k on our rig - have not had an issue with wheel sensors. Hopefully, other members have more to add  - ‘sealing’ sensors could be an important maintenance item for us?  Bill  V12J MI

Dinah Hayes

Our 1st sensor didn't go out until 83,000 miles without sealant, but ours is a 2015.
Following.

On Sun, Aug 23, 2020, 6:51 AM michiganview <deepthinkers@...> wrote:
Steve wrote: —-
[...]

Keith Taylor

Changing speed sensors. Yep changed both rear sensors.

Bought a code reader...tracked down issue...changed probes....reset code....goong to try non OEM cable next time 168 dollars per cable...not fun but better than 500 bucks at MB dealer 200 moles away.

KT

PS all code readers won't tell you what you want to know...if interested I'll go home and publish name of mine.

Mitch Miglis

That would be great. Am looking toget a good code reader to supplement ScanGuage.
Mitch
14vj