Topics

Power Share Switch

Charles Stewart

Hey folks,

I am replacing my inverter with a 3000 watt Gopower unit and adding a transfer switch, and as I was tracing out the wiring in my coach I found a Precision Circuits Power Share Switch.  Looking this device up on line, it appears this allows two devices to use the same circuit, giving priority to one device over the other but not allowing both at the same time.  This is what Precision Circuits says, " Power Share Switch (PSS) provides the capability to wire two appliances to a single circuit breaker. The Primary appliance never losses power. The Secondary appliance is allowed to run as long as the Primary is not drawing current. Power to the Secondary appliance is turned off whenever the Primary Appliance is drawing current."

At any rate, does anyone know anything about how this is used in our units?  What are the two circuits this is used for?  Any help in understanding how this is used in our electrical system would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Charlie 14J from NH

Franke Huffman

Charles,

I believe the the PSS is for the microwave and elec. water heater. The micro has priority.

Franke
12VJ, NC

John Purwin

Charlie; You can look up your wiring diagrams on the Winnebago website
https://www.winnebagoind.com/diagram/2014/14_524j_wire.htm
The power share switch gives priority to your microwave over your Hot Water Heater, so that the 20 amp circuit is not overloaded.
If you are upgrading your inverter with a 3000 w unit, have you looked at what else needs to be upgraded to be able to use the inverter's capacity.
I recently upgraded and needed to replace the usual, but what I also found was that the 110V connections that Winnebago used, limits the wiring in the inverter circuit to 15 amps.

John
2019 Navion J

ken.hlavac

This provides power to the electric water heater (secondary) when the microwave (primary) is not in use.
Ken hlavac
13NavJ
Green ohio

Bob

Charles,
The two appliances that first come to mind are the microwave and electric hot water heater which share a common circuit.

Bob 17V NorCal/Reno

--
Bob 2017 24VJ NorCal

younglr98

Charlie,
Historically the PSS (power share switch/relay) is for splitting power between the Microwave outlet OR the Electric element of the Hot Water Heater (HWH). If you are heating water with shore power or genset, it will disconnect while you are using microwave and reconnect when there is no power going to microwave.
I assume this serves the same function in newer models.???
 Roger 07VJ E WA

"sailorbobc30@gmail.com

Same setup in our 2016 View V.  Some later models have a flow-through water heater, I don’t know how these are set up.

Bob

On Oct 28, 2020, at 11:56 AM, younglr98 via groups.io <younglr98@...> wrote:

Charlie,
Historically the PSS (power share switch/relay) is for splitting power between the Microwave outlet OR the Electric element of the Hot Water Heater (HWH). If you are heating water with shore power or genset, it will disconnect while you are using microwave and reconnect when there is no power going to microwave.
I assume this serves the same function in newer models.???
 Roger 07VJ E WA

Matt Praz

2020 and later have it setup between the microwave and induction cooktop. Again the MW has priority.

Matt Prazenka

20ND

2016 Subaru Crosstrek Toad

Highland Park, IL