From: Dave Sweeney <dksweens@...>
To: discussion@view-naviontech.groups.io
Sent: Sun, Aug 23, 2020 2:05 pm
Subject: [view-naviontech] propane auto shutoff

All my propane run items acted like there was no propane with a full tank.   I've had to already have 2 old regulators changed out...one for leaking and one just quit.  I figured it must be another bad regulator so I changed it.  Pain in the butt.  Still no propane flow.  Went under and checked what appears to be the emergency shutoff on the tank and it was really hot!  I think the valve is shut and trying to signal it to open is heating it up and it won't open.  When I matched the switches to off it cooled off underneath on the tank.  Anyone have this problem??  It just seems like my emergency shutoff wont open the tank valve.  Couldn't find any circuit breakers or fuses for it.  Any ideas??  Checked switch by the fill and pulled and reset cannon plug and that had no effect.  Thanks.

Dave in Seattle
2017 24J View

Tom

If the emergency shutoff solenoid is hot then it is getting power to open (or trying) it. It should make a clicking sound when you toggle the outside switch. Loosen a propane line before and after the regulator to see where you have flow.

Tom 13NV

Dave Sweeney

Tom,  I changed the regulator and there is no flow now.  I don't hear any click at all when the shutoff(s) are opened or closed.  When I closed them the switch cooled off.  I'm thinking that the solenoid is stuck closed.  Does anyone know how to repair/replace or troubleshoot it ?   I pulled the connector off of it and there is some kind of red connector inside of the outer rubber piece....maybe an inline fuse??  I've just never seen anything like it before.  Just looking for help.  thanks.

Dave in Seattle
2017 24J View

Nigebirch

Dave,

If you are a member of the View/Navion Motorhome Group on Facebook, you can post your question there.  I guarantee that Len Casella will have an answer for you.

Dorrin 19D

Dan Booher

Bad solenoid?   From the web...
When a solenoid is first energized, its coil receives a pulse of high inrush current that decreases as the plunger opens. If the plunger does not open, the high inrush current continues, which can cause the coil to overheat and burn out. This is the most common cause of solenoid failure .

On Mon, Aug 24, 2020 at 6:46 AM Nigebirch via groups.io <dmbirchmd=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
Dave,

If you are a member of the View/Navion Motorhome Group on Facebook, you can post your question there.  I guarantee that Len Casella will have an answer for you.

Dorrin 19D

Dave Sweeney

Len has helped me before.  Darn,  not a facebook guy....still use my old flip phone actually! haha   thanks anyway.

Dave in Seattle
2017 24J View

Jim Dane

Have to ask if you have the small wheel on the valve turned to the open position. If the valve is in manually closed position the solenoid has no effect. Probably a silly question but needed to be asked.

Dave Sweeney

My propane has been working for 3 years (although I'm on my 3rd regulator) so the small wheel must be open.   I DID change my batteries recently , thereby removing the 12 volts that supposedly hold the solenoid open.  Maybe when I reconnected new batteries it failed to open again after closing without power.  I have checked the LP detector light since that is perhaps connected and it's working and glowing green.  Pulled the LP detect fuse in the cabin and that 5amp fuse looks fine and I have current still running there.  Stumped.

Dave in Seattle
2017 24J View

Tom

Dave, If there is no click then it sounds like the solenoid is stuck. Verify by cracking a hose before the regulator and see if there is any pressure present. The solenoid will be hot when energized. try tapping the solenoid to see if it frees up. If bad then the whole thing will need replacing as the coil is being energized.

TomF 13 NV

Dave Sweeney

thanks Tom....changed the regulator and had no pressure on either side of it.  Already tried tapping it while wife and son flipped the two switches....no joy.  I think it's stuck too.  Out of warranty by 6 months....3.5 years, told by my dealer.  Part is $145 and I think you have to drain the whole tank(full) and install. Service guy there said it is normal for it to be very hot also.   Guess i'm going to have to bite the bullet....again.    thanks

Dave in Seattle
2017 24J View

Dan Booher

I believe the valve (knurled round knob) on tank will isolate  so you can change solenoid. One user said he just pulled and replace coil as he didn't have a valve on tank, didn't need to bleed all his propane.
Probably become obvious what to do, once you get new solenoid valve.

Dan
2016 NV

On Mon, Aug 24, 2020, 2:53 PM Dave Sweeney <dksweens@...> wrote:
thanks Tom....changed the regulator and had no pressure on either side of it.  Already tried tapping it while wife and son flipped the two switches....no joy.  I think it's stuck too.  Out of warranty by 6 months....3.5 years, told by my dealer.  Part is $145 and I think you have to drain the whole tank(full) and install. Service guy there said it is normal for it to be very hot also.   Guess i'm going to have to bite the bullet....again.    thanks

Dave in Seattle
2017 24J View

MichiganView

Dave Wrote:
"thanks Tom....changed the regulator and had no pressure on either side of it.  Already tried tapping it while wife and son flipped the two switches....no joy.  I think it's stuck too.  Out of warranty by 6 months....3.5 years, told by my dealer.  Part is $145 and I think you have to drain the whole tank(full) and install. Service guy there said it is normal for it to be very hot also.   Guess im going to have to bite the bullet.again.    thanks   Dave in Seattle    2017 24J View

Dave — I feel your pain! One more option before you ‘bite the bullet’? Some members have used Rare Earth magnets to hold open the solenoid to reduce power consumption. If you were inclined - a stack of magnets at the end of the plunger may be a simple troubleshooting approach? A bit of research may save you a few bucks?   Bill  V12J MI

[If the magnets pull open the solenoid plunger and supplies LP to your system - apparently the solenoid is shot…]

Tom

The valve is part of the solenoid so the tank has to be emptied to change. The solenoid normally draws 0.8 amp so if it is drawing more maybe the problem is just the coil which can be changed by itself but I would expect that the coil would normally fail open so it would not get hot like yours is.

TomF 13NV

Dave Sweeney

If it needs to be emptied ...how does one go about that safely??   I can't burn it off because it doesn't flow!  Has anyone ever changed one of these emergency shutoff solenoids?

Thanks for all the help guys.

Dave in Seattle
2017 24J View

Donald Batbie

Dave:

Before you go forward with emptying the tank and changing the solenoid, take a look at your propane leak detector and see if it is working correctly. It should have a green blinking light. The leak detector is located just below the refrigerator.
When the detector senses a propane leak, it energizes the solenoid on the tank. I would take look at it and reset it to see if this is what is causing your solenoid to not allow propane to pass out of the tank.
Hope this helps

Don B NorCal
2015 View G

Tom

The propane detector is not connected and does not control the solenoid operation. Besides energizing the solenoid would open it letting propane flow. The dealer may have a way of pumping the propane out.

TomF 13NV

Dave Sweeney

Earlier in the thread I posted that I checked the propane leak detector.  I pulled the fuse and it's getting good power...fuse is good...green light working.  I think I need a new emergency shutoff solenoid .

thanks.  Dave in Seattle
2017 24J View

Bob Skirvin <carpetbob52@...>

Perhaps a propane service that specializes in propane tanks and systems would be a good call. Especially if you need to have the gas evacuated from the tank. I can't imagine that any RV dealer would have that capability. Of course YMMV. Bob 06VH

On Tue, Aug 25, 2020, 6:32 AM Tom <tjfexplorer@...> wrote:
The propane detector is not connected and does not control the solenoid operation. Besides energizing the solenoid would open it letting propane flow. The dealer may have a way of pumping the propane out.

TomF 13NV

Dave Sweeney

A followup:  ordered the solenoid AND shutoff valve from Lichtsenn RV.  You have to order the entire setup to get the solenoid....$145 plus shipping.  Anyway,  took the solenoid off the new valve and replaced the old one with the new.  Saw some rubbing of the two power wires to it also...wrapped them in electrical tape and energized!  Works!!!   Hoping to find a source for just the solenoid if I need one again.  Glad I didn't drain a full propane tank!  Incidentally,  did NOT hear a click of the solenoid when it opened the valve....just the hiss of propane moving out of the tank into the lines.  Also learned how to replace the regulator....pain in the butt actually.  If anyone has to do it...you have an order to follow of the hoses to take off or you will end up twisting some.  Replaced with the Marschall one they talk about in this forum.

Dave in Seattle
24J View 2017