Topics

questions for a roof installation

Dick Stevenson

Hi all,

Preparing to add some solar panels to my 2016 View.

A couple of questions: Does anyone have experience using VHB (very high bond) tape from 3M to secure the panels? Is it recommended to back up the tape with a mechanical fastener? And finally, is there a preferred self-leveling caulk to cover over the feet?

Your help is appreciated, Dick Stevenson

Bob Knight

Yes to VHB tape on the two View/Navions I've owned. No to mechanical fasteners. Used Dicor self-leveling sealant over the feet.

Thanks,
Bob
17NJ
Santa Fe, NM

--
17NJ
Santa Fe, NM

Christophe P.

Installed 3 panels 3.5 years ago using VHB tape and Dicor self leveling sealant. No screws to back them up. I cleaned up the area with wipes and alcohol making sure everything was super clean. VHB needs a bit of heat to cure and the sealant took a couple of days at least to cure as well.

Don Phillipe

Also have 3 years now traveling over rough back roads and even through the windiest valley in N. America and all is well.   VHB under aluminum feet to fiberglass roof bonding, consisting of solar panel feet VHB taped to the roof, taking caution of mounting pristine clean and flat surfaces, beforehand lightly sanding both the feet and roof mount location with 600 grit sandpaper, then after the VHB seal, covering the solar panel feet and area around them about 1" covered in self leveling lap sealant.  Notice at least my roof is a bit dome shaped so I mounted my feet to be extending long-ways or front to back rather than side to side (which puts a slight hump under the feet of you try to install where you have a long foot spanning left to right)

There should be tons of info describing this, here even in this very forum.

Michael Powers

I’ve used the VHB tape to mount additional solar panels on the roof as well and highly recommend it. My research showed that using the 3M primer with the tape makes the bond even stronger and is available on Amazon. Three primer pens for $10. Of course using DICOR self leveling Sealant keeps everything dry so the tape won’t deteriorate over time.

Mike 17NV

On Sep 3, 2020, at 4:58 PM, old_b4_my_time <donphillipe@...> wrote:

Also have 3 years now traveling over rough back roads and even through the windiest valley in N. America and all is well.   VHB under aluminum feet to fiberglass roof bonding, consisting of solar panel feet VHB taped to the roof, taking caution of mounting pristine clean and flat surfaces, beforehand lightly sanding both the feet and roof mount location with 600 grit sandpaper, then after the VHB seal, covering the solar panel feet and area around them about 1" covered in self leveling lap sealant.  Notice at least my roof is a bit dome shaped so I mounted my feet to be extending long-ways or front to back rather than side to side (which puts a slight hump under the feet of you try to install where you have a long foot spanning left to right)

There should be tons of info describing this, here even in this very forum.

Jake

On mine the PO did VHB tape and then covered the feet with Dicor or Eternabond tape. All surfaces properly prepared of course No problems. Jake 07NH

Sent from my iPhone.

--
Jake
2007 Navion 23H

Dick Stevenson

Hi all,

Thank you for the helpful responses. And Mike, thanks for answering (even before I got around to asking it) why one uses the Dicor when there is no penetration of the roof: makes sense.

My best, Dick Stevenson

hikerbuddy01

I mounted two solar panels on  the roof of my RV over 10 years ago using the VHB tape.  I did not use dicor or any other sealant.  The panels are rock solid on  the  roof and I would think I would damage the roof if I tried to pull them off.

--
Bob
'08NH