Topics

RAINFALL LEAK INTO THE CAB

sstadler19

Hello all,

This winter I had water seeping into the cabover and leaking through the the plastic light fixture and eyeglass holder on the ceiling.  Being sure it was coming through the roof at the union point of the cabover and fiberglass roof I topped it off with some more sealant and then rubber roof tape.   Here in Sacramento I thought I’d have to wait six months to celebrate my dry coach, but it rained today and…I had waterfalls once again.  I was sure this was the cause, but I guess not.

I’m puzzed where its coming from.  The obvious next step is the big skylight.  The Dicor seems fine.  While it is a few years old I see no obvious cracking or openings, and it is still a bit soft to the touch.  Do you think that could still be where the water is coming in?  I do think I see a slight warp in the cover that may be keeping the plastic inner lip from fully contacting the insulation in the lower portion of the skylight, but find it hard to believe that water would get in their so easily.  What do you think, should I redo the seal arouond the skylight; could it be a from the little Sirius attenae?   Any suggestions from anyone who has dealt with this would be appreciated.

Scott

08NH

Dale Lucas

Scott,
Our 07 J had a similar leak.
Living in western Oregon there was no waiting to find out we had a leak.
Turned out to be the sealant around the skylight.  Even though it looked good it was lifting along the inner edge on the skylight side of the sealant.  To make it even more effective at collecting water Winnebago had not run the sealant all the way to the plastic curb of the skylight assembly, creating a water collector for it to run under the lifted sealant.
The fix was the same as you are doing.  Cleaned the area all the way around with 91% rubbing alcohol, poured in new self leveling sealant to fill the gap between the existing sealant and the skylight curb and then over poured the existing sealant to an area just beyond the existing sealant.
No more leak.
Dale
12 J
Las Cruces, NM (high and dry)

On Thursday, June 8, 2017 3:26 PM, "sstadler19@... [View-NavionTech]" wrote:

[...]

Art

Yes our 07 leaked around the skylight in heavy rain.   Wasn't hard to remove and re-seal but I think it was pooling at the hinge so start there.

Art 07h on

Marty Klinger

This is a post I put together a couple of months ago. I also posted photo's around the end of April to show where the water is sitting.  Now I find the axxess box has been recalled anyway..

Hi everyone

I wanted to share my learning and actions, hoping it will help someone else.  I was clueless and panicked (yikes water leak)  I added the link below to the initial thread, buried within there is another thread I was referred to.

It started with a drive to Mercedes to address a check engine light.  As I gunned the engine to get on the freeway, water came pouring out of the overhead cab light.

By the time I got to Mercedes I had a seatbelt warning light (SRS) and my windows wouldn't work anymore.

Mercedes said there was an aftermark Axcess box (for steering wheel control of aftermarket radio).  That had gotten wet and when they unplugged it the Mercedes went back to normal.

Now I needed to deal with where the water was sitting and how it got there.  Some very helpful people told me their is a fiberglass cavity under the overhead cab bed and actual mercedes cab.  I posted some photo's in the photo section but couldn't get them to attach here.

I found an RV service period to take apart the whole overhead section and get it down to fiberglass and steel frame (remove the mattress, the front molding and then the big platform molding.   Again see the photos of what it looks like.     The hardest part of the process was the double sides tape Winnebago installed to keep it down.  They charged me $87

Once water is leaking out of the overhead cab light, you have accumulated enough water that the force of the can hit the highest point in the cavity.   Sadly water could probably get in here in the future and unless its a bad storm you might not ever know its there.

Once it was open I dried it out to make sure there would be no mold. The good news is the whole cavity is either fiberglass, sound barrier  or steel so the lilkilyhood  of mold from the sitting water probably thin.

Now it was time to find out where the water came from.  We found two places also previously suspected by others:

1) The lights at the top front outside cab ( I think its three little lights) , there was NO sealeant and I believe it never did.  So there was a very big gap for water to leak right in the whole where the wires do into the coach.

2) The driver cab bunk window weep holes where blocked by silicone, sealant or something again from the factory.  So instead of water draining out, it was filing up in the track and overflow into the same cavity.

They charged me another couple hundred dollars to take the window out, clean it and put everything back together.   We were able to just put the axcess box back in since it had dried out.

All in all I feel very lucky this didn't cost me what others were quoted.  I wil say I am sure they were just sloppy in the factory in these two areas  and it seems like too many others have had the same issue for it to be an isolated incident.

See the photos so you can see what the area looks like. The double sided tape is on the steel beams.

Marty San Diego

2016 View J

sstadler19

Great information. Craziest thing you'll ever see inside an rv (safe to say with this group!?)but very dangerous if you're reaction takes your eyes of the road.

Scott
08NH

[...]

bike_for_life2003

Experiencing same problem.  Excuse the longish post but I need to explain the problem and my attempts to fix it to date.

A few months ago we had stains show up on the cab headliner above the windshield and doors right after passage of Tropical Storm Alberto. There was also some water in the cup holder and some on the door arm rests. I presumed this came from a windshield leak when Alberto blew rain sideways into the windshield and re-caulked two spots where it appeared the upper windshield seal had been compromised. We let the headliner dry for a few weeks then removed the stains using upholstery cleaner and microfiber towels.

Yesterday I went to move the vehicle back to it's normal parking spot and when it rocked a bit going into the street, water cascaded down from between the headliner and the windscreen. It became obvious that water was collecting somewhere above the windshield, not just seeping in.

A friend suggested it could be seeping in via a broken seal under one or more of the marker lights on top of the fiberglass overhang as that he had experienced that with his pickup. He said he just pulled up the light, laid down a bead of silicone caulk, and reseated the light and the problem was gone.

I checked around the skylight but had not considered a leak at one of the marker lights since we did not see any wetness in the over-cab bed area or its ceiling but I will check those lights for broken/damaged gaskets. If I find any, I will probably first try to reseal them with silicone and replace the light(s) if the gasket is too far gone.

Even if we do find a leaky gasket at one or more of the lights, I still have a few questions/concerns:

1. Where is this water collecting? Is there a way to make a drain system from there to the outside in case of another leak?

2. Could there still be water trapped somewhere? If so, how we get it out to avoid mold/mildew? On a related note, while we don't have any mold/mildew, what are people using to deal with it in their V/Ns, especially soft surfaces, if it appears?

3. If the source of the water intrusion was not the upper marker lights, where else could it come from?  Some one mentioned the side windows in the cab-over.  Any other possibilities?

We're perplexed and want to get this aggravating issue resolved. If anyone here has experienced something like this or has any other ideas, your assistance would be appreciated.

Regardless, we will report back with what we found and how we resolved it.

Happy Trails!

Paul and Chris
06 View 23H in NW FL

Charles Hanna

Charles Hanna

bike_for_life2003

Thanks, Charles.  I could not get those pics to display using two different browsers... Perhaps a problem with the Yahoo Group.  Have you posted them anywhere on either of the Groups.io V/N pages?
Paul and Christine
06 View 23H in NW FL