Topics

Rear Wheel Speed Sensor Failure Investigation


TheS1R
 

Apparently, the US Department of Transportation's (DoT) National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) has begun an investigation (which could result in a future recall) into multiple premature failures of Rear Wheel Speed Sensors on Sprinters: NHTSA Sprinter RWSS Investigation.

Interesting in the letter from the DoT to Daimler Vans USA is the statement that "Most complaints involved Sprinter vans that were converted to recreational vehicles (RVs) and at least eleven (11) complaints indicated experiencing multiple RWSS sensor replacements."

Stay tuned...

Tom
16NG


Hans Telm
 

I have had speed sensor failures on both rear wheels, at less than 14,000 miles.
I does not pass the smell test.

Hans

On Wednesday, October 21, 2020, 5:45 PM, TheS1R <visortgw@...> wrote:

Apparently, the US Department of Transportation's (DoT) National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) has begun an investigation (which could result in a future recall) into multiple premature failures of Rear Wheel Speed Sensors on Sprinters: NHTSA Sprinter RWSS Investigation.

Interesting in the letter from the DoT to Daimler Vans USA is the statement that "Most complaints involved Sprinter vans that were converted to recreational vehicles (RVs) and at least eleven (11) complaints indicated experiencing multiple RWSS sensor replacements."

Stay tuned...

Tom
16NG


Donald Borden
 

I had the left rear sensor replaced for $330 due to ABS, Stability Control & Spinning Wheel lights & Cruise dropout.  Seems OK after 1200 mi. trip.
What do you mean smell test?
Anybody how do I report the failure to the Govt. Data Base?
DonB, 2014 NV, 27k mi., SS,CO & Hsn.,TX

On Wed, Oct 21, 2020 at 8:27 PM Hans Telm via groups.io <atze1994=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
I have had speed sensor failures on both rear wheels, at less than 14,000 miles.
I does not pass the smell test.

Hans
2013 view 24j


Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPad

On Wednesday, October 21, 2020, 5:45 PM, TheS1R <visortgw@...> wrote:

Apparently, the US Department of Transportation's (DoT) National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) has begun an investigation (which could result in a future recall) into multiple premature failures of Rear Wheel Speed Sensors on Sprinters: NHTSA Sprinter RWSS Investigation.

Interesting in the letter from the DoT to Daimler Vans USA is the statement that "Most complaints involved Sprinter vans that were converted to recreational vehicles (RVs) and at least eleven (11) complaints indicated experiencing multiple RWSS sensor replacements."

Stay tuned...

Tom
16NG


Keith Taylor
 

I personally have had to change both my left and right rear wheel sensors.

Did it my self at my expense.

Just found out that theses are covered under Emissions warranty.

I'd just like to get reimbursed for the cost of 2 sensors.

Keith

On Wed, Oct 21, 2020, 7:45 PM TheS1R <visortgw@...> wrote:
Apparently, the US Department of Transportation's (DoT) National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) has begun an investigation (which could result in a future recall) into multiple premature failures of Rear Wheel Speed Sensors on Sprinters: NHTSA Sprinter RWSS Investigation.

Interesting in the letter from the DoT to Daimler Vans USA is the statement that "Most complaints involved Sprinter vans that were converted to recreational vehicles (RVs) and at least eleven (11) complaints indicated experiencing multiple RWSS sensor replacements."

Stay tuned...

Tom
16NG


TheS1R
 
Edited

I would suggest contacting the POC listed in the letter from Office of Defects Investigation to Daimler Vans (one of associated documents):

Kareem Habib
202.366.8703

Reference Preliminary Evaluation (PE20-014), allegations of RWSS failure in model year (MY) 2011 through 2018 Daimler Vans Sprinter vehicles.

Tom
16NG


Robert Heywood
 

Be aware that the wheel sensors are covered by the emissions system warranty, at least on my 2016 chassis... both my sensors failed, one at around 40,000 miles, and one at about 50,000 miles. I learned this when searching the Sprinter Forum while in the MB Service waiting room during the first repair, where they had quoted about $400. There was a lot of skepticism, but, after a meeting with the management, they agreed.  When the second one failed, we were in the middle of our Winter wanderings, so went to a different dealer... same reluctance, but same result: no charge. 

Hope this helps!

Bob, SOB Sprinter-based Class C. 


On Oct 22, 2020, at 8:00 AM, Donald Borden <stmbtdon@...> wrote:


I had the left rear sensor replaced for $330 due to ABS, Stability Control & Spinning Wheel lights & Cruise dropout.  Seems OK after 1200 mi. trip.
What do you mean smell test?
Anybody how do I report the failure to the Govt. Data Base?
DonB, 2014 NV, 27k mi., SS,CO & Hsn.,TX

On Wed, Oct 21, 2020 at 8:27 PM Hans Telm via groups.io <atze1994=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
I have had speed sensor failures on both rear wheels, at less than 14,000 miles.
I does not pass the smell test.

Hans
2013 view 24j


Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPad

On Wednesday, October 21, 2020, 5:45 PM, TheS1R <visortgw@...> wrote:

Apparently, the US Department of Transportation's (DoT) National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) has begun an investigation (which could result in a future recall) into multiple premature failures of Rear Wheel Speed Sensors on Sprinters: NHTSA Sprinter RWSS Investigation.

Interesting in the letter from the DoT to Daimler Vans USA is the statement that "Most complaints involved Sprinter vans that were converted to recreational vehicles (RVs) and at least eleven (11) complaints indicated experiencing multiple RWSS sensor replacements."

Stay tuned...

Tom
16NG


William
 
Edited

Thanks to those highlighting this serious problem.  I’ve just reported my 8 failures regarding NHTSA PE 20014/21 Sept 2020.   We were fortunate these failures did not happen off the grid.  Although some of the failures were covered by warranty....it was a small consolation compared to the great inconvenience including the “Shrugged Shoulder” response from the MB service managers.  A simple over-ride procedure would have been nice to have.  I wish this on their engineers 😊.  Good luck to everyone.


David "Coastal" Kruth
 

I’ve replaced 3 under warranty 

David  "Coastal "  Kruth
360-808-4444

On Oct 22, 2020, at 2:14 PM, William via groups.io <wmclibby@...> wrote:



[Edited Message Follows]

Thanks to those highlighting this serious problem.  I’ve just reported my 8 failures regarding NHTSA PE 20014/21 Sept 2020.   We were fortunate these failures did not happen off the grid.  Although some of the failures were covered by warranty....it was a small consolation compared to the great inconvenience including the “Shrugged Shoulder” response from the MB service managers.  A simple over-ride procedure would have been nice to have.  I wish this on their engineers 😊.  Good luck to everyone.


Donald Borden
 

Thank you for this info!
DonB, 2014 NV, 32k mi, SS,CO & Hsn.,TX

On Wed, Oct 21, 2020 at 6:45 PM TheS1R <visortgw@...> wrote:
Apparently, the US Department of Transportation's (DoT) National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) has begun an investigation (which could result in a future recall) into multiple premature failures of Rear Wheel Speed Sensors on Sprinters: NHTSA Sprinter RWSS Investigation.

Interesting in the letter from the DoT to Daimler Vans USA is the statement that "Most complaints involved Sprinter vans that were converted to recreational vehicles (RVs) and at least eleven (11) complaints indicated experiencing multiple RWSS sensor replacements."

Stay tuned...

Tom
16NG


lou Thomson
 

Ive replaced both of my rear ones and carry both sides as spares, at $25 a piece not that expensive and easy to do the next time they may fail i may  see if i can clean and readjust the sensor instead of replacing..the problem with dealers is they want to pull the axle replace the reluctor ring and sensor which is why the dealer cost is so high as they like to make money when in fact its just the sensor...and the reluctor is fine took me a while to figure that out glad they are investigating  09VJ


ERH
 

Both my navion 2017 on the Mercedes-Benz 2016 chassis rear sensors failed 1 x 15000 miles the other at 16,000. Mercedes replaced the first one under warranty. Out of convenience I replace the second one. Takes about 20 minutes at the most to replace. So can be more informed about what's going on in the MBZ, also invested $145 in the following:

iCarsoft Professional Multi-System Auto Diagnostic Tool MB V2.0 Compatible for Mercedes-Benz/Sprinter/Smart, ABS SRS Oil BLD INJ
NOTE: only the V2 .0 has the latest upgrades for the Sprinter 3500 according to the manufacturer.
This little unit allows you to watch all four sensors in real time on the road if you want. More importantly it ties into Mercedes-Benz onboard computer system and allows you to not only read real time but reset codes, provides code lookup in plain language, and a host of other data from the computer.


Keith Taylor
 

Yep iCarsoft  MB II/MB II / VAWS II / POR II / Vol II is what I use.

Recently I scanned and told the dealership that the code on my dash was a shorted to ground DEF heater... iCarSoft works.

Where in the world are you getting the sensors for 25 bucks???

Ipay $168.00 from the dealership and have replaced both rears.
cloudHQPowered by
cloudHQ


On Sat, Oct 24, 2020 at 10:49 PM ERH <earlhunt2007@...> wrote:
Both my navion 2017 on the Mercedes-Benz 2016 chassis rear sensors failed 1 x 15000 miles the other at 16,000. Mercedes replaced the first one under warranty. Out of convenience I replace the second one. Takes about 20 minutes at the most to replace. So can be more informed about what's going on in the MBZ, also invested $145 in the following:

iCarsoft Professional Multi-System Auto Diagnostic Tool MB V2.0 Compatible for Mercedes-Benz/Sprinter/Smart, ABS SRS Oil BLD INJ
NOTE: only the V2 .0 has the latest upgrades for the Sprinter 3500 according to the manufacturer.
This little unit allows you to watch all four sensors in real time on the road if you want. More importantly it ties into Mercedes-Benz onboard computer system and allows you to not only read real time but reset codes, provides code lookup in plain language, and a host of other data from the computer.



--
Keith Taylor


ERH
 

I get my sensors from www.autohausaz.com  ... MB part very expensive.



Sent from my Sprint Samsung Galaxy® Note 4.


-------- Original message --------
From: Keith Taylor <srtaylor2@...>
Date: 10/24/20 23:59 (GMT-05:00)
To: discussion@view-naviontech.groups.io
Subject: Re: [view-naviontech] Rear Wheel Speed Sensor Failure Investigation

Yep iCarsoft  MB II/MB II / VAWS II / POR II / Vol II is what I use.

Recently I scanned and told the dealership that the code on my dash was a shorted to ground DEF heater... iCarSoft works.

Where in the world are you getting the sensors for 25 bucks???

Ipay $168.00 from the dealership and have replaced both rears.
cloudHQPowered by
cloudHQ

On Sat, Oct 24, 2020 at 10:49 PM ERH <earlhunt2007@...> wrote:
Both my navion 2017 on the Mercedes-Benz 2016 chassis rear sensors failed 1 x 15000 miles the other at 16,000. Mercedes replaced the first one under warranty. Out of convenience I replace the second one. Takes about 20 minutes at the most to replace. So can be more informed about what's going on in the MBZ, also invested $145 in the following:

iCarsoft Professional Multi-System Auto Diagnostic Tool MB V2.0 Compatible for Mercedes-Benz/Sprinter/Smart, ABS SRS Oil BLD INJ
NOTE: only the V2 .0 has the latest upgrades for the Sprinter 3500 according to the manufacturer.
This little unit allows you to watch all four sensors in real time on the road if you want. More importantly it ties into Mercedes-Benz onboard computer system and allows you to not only read real time but reset codes, provides code lookup in plain language, and a host of other data from the computer.



--
Keith Taylor


Nigebirch
 

ERH,

Which did you get?

Thanx,

Dorrin 19D


Hans Telm
 

I don’t know. Had it done at the M recedes Dealer under extended warranty.

Hans

On Monday, October 26, 2020, 8:27 AM, Nigebirch via groups.io <dmbirchmd@...> wrote:

ERH,

Which did you get?

Thanx,

Dorrin 19D


Nigebirch
 

Thanx, Hans.  I was wondering what sensor ERH got.

Dorrin 19D


lou Thomson
 

The price has gone up a bit from $25..now 28  they work just as good as the expensive ones there are a lot out there this is just one example...https://www.amazon.com/Bapmic-9015421117-Sensor-Freightliner-Sprinter/dp/B07BJZ9LZH/ref=pd_lpo_263_t_1/147-8349921-2939041?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B07BJZ9LZH&pd_rd_r=cef710cc-6402-4cb9-8bbe-f7c1899a60c3&pd_rd_w=8rzHy&pd_rd_wg=x2Gok&pf_rd_p=7b36d496-f366-4631-94d3-61b87b52511b&pf_rd_r=RM9FBVP9525PMSM5191N&psc=1&refRID=RM9FBVP9525PMSM5191N


William Finley
 

Lou

I find it interesting that this sensor is listed as good for my 2006. 

Guess the rear wheel sensor technology hasn't changed much. 

Thanks for the link at that price point might be worth looking into as a spare.

Bill 06vh


MichiganView
 

Thanks for the wheel sensor link, Lou. However, when I checked it out - Amazon responded that it does NOT fit a 2011 Sprinter? Just so others do not become confused — it appears the ‘older’ version fit 06 - 09 Sprinters, like this link refers you to. Does anyone have a cheap wheel sensor they use on the 2010 and newer Sprinter 3500? 

Now that we have numerous ‘versions’ of parts for Sprinters it becomes more important for members to identify what YEAR they are referring to rather than assuming the part they found or use will automatically fit all other Sprinter years?  I will step down from my soapbox… Bill  V12J MI


sstadler19
 

To know more about the rear wheel sensors and to augment my toolbox I want to get under my 08 Navion and just get a visual of the sensors. Simply put, can you tell me where they are located so that I can take a peek? Hopefully I'm not the only one who needs to know.

Scott
08H

On 10/27/2020 4:11 AM MichiganView <deepthinkers@...> wrote:


Thanks for the wheel sensor link, Lou. However, when I checked it out - Amazon responded that it does NOT fit a 2011 Sprinter? Just so others do not become confused — it appears the ‘older’ version fit 06 - 09 Sprinters, like this link refers you to. Does anyone have a cheap wheel sensor they use on the 2010 and newer Sprinter 3500? 

Now that we have numerous ‘versions’ of parts for Sprinters it becomes more important for members to identify what YEAR they are referring to rather than assuming the part they found or use will automatically fit all other Sprinter years?  I will step down from my soapbox… Bill  V12J MI