Topics

Routing weboost antenna wire - 17J

Bob Knight

I've been poring over wiring drawings, looking at photos and youtube videos. I don't see a good way to get an antenna cable into the coach without penetrating the roof, aside from the air conditioner route.

My preference is to mount the antenna (the 4G trucker that's 19" in length, with 14' cable) on the top of the ladder. It seems that, with that location, I'm rather constrained as to options regarding the location of the amplifier. One thought I've had is to put it under the bed, but I am at a loss as to how to get an antenna cable to it. Another option is to bite the bullet and locate the antenna somewhere on the roof using a mount affixed with 3M tape. I then have flexibility as to the cable route, but am stymied as to where to route it. I know that one person has routed antenna wiring down through the air conditioning unit and thence to behind the main TV. I'm not thrilled with that location, but it certainly seems that it's the easiest to access. It may even be possible to go from there to under the sink, if length allows.

Any other ideas? Any input welcomed.

Thanks,
Bob
Soon 17NJ
Santa Fe, NM

Leonard R Casella

How about penetrating the back of the power compartment into the area under the bed?  That area will be protected from the weather.  I believe the 2017 J is similar for the power cable routing as my 2012 - have a compartment at the back of the coach and the power cable is routed under a plywood cover under the bed to the power panel.  I also have my cable connection there, may be possible to penetrate by that.  Ensure you do a good job of sealing any penetration you make, don't want a rodent highway under the bed!

Len 12N24J Krumsville, Pa

Bob Knight

Agreed re rodents - we have more than our share here. That sounds like a plan. I'll have to check it out when I can do so in person. Luckily, the cable's relatively small in diameter as is the SMA male connector terminating.

Thanks,
Bob
Soon 17NJ
Santa Fe, NM

On 12/29/2016 11:57 AM, lenc75@hotmail.com [View-NavionTech] wrote:

How about penetrating the back of the power compartment into the area
under the bed? That area will be protected from the weather. I believe
the 2017 J is similar for the power cable routing as my 2012 - have a
compartment at the back of the coach and the power cable is routed under
a plywood cover under the bed to the power panel. I also have my cable
connection there, may be possible to penetrate by that. Ensure you do a
good job of sealing any penetration you make, don't want a rodent
highway under the bed!

Len 12N24J Krumsville, Pa

Franke Huffman

Bob,
We mounted our truckers antenna on the top of the ladder as you are planning.  I ran the cable across the roof to the fan in the bathroom.   I use a white, waterproof Gorilla Tape, I think, to cover the wire, Photo 1.  You probable have the Fantasic Fan while we have the Vortex, but this could still be a solution. The tape is a little worn but I have not replaced it.  My memory from 5 years ago is a little shaky but if you remove the fan housing you can gain access. It is a two part piece and the wire is hardly visible inside the fan, Photo 2.  If your fan is similar, the attached pictures will make more sense when you have removed the fan housing.  You need to make a small hole, Photo 3, to get behind the housing.  I wrapped the wire behind the housing to the across from the bathroom door, then above the vanity, behind the slide trim to the bunk above the cab.  You will need additional wire.  I keep the cell boost in the far corner, the maximum distance from the exterior antenna.  It make a nearly invisible installation.  The wire is only visible on the ceiling of the bathroom and from the door to the vanity.
Good Luck
Franke
’12 VJ, NC

Rex Abbott

Franke,
How much cable did you add?  I talked to weboost and they stated that the length that comes with the antenna is correct for max signal strength. If you add length you loss signal.

Have you experienced it or measured it?

Rex
Cumming, Ga
'06 VH

awakeheart@...

Hi,
We just purchased a Weboost and are realizing that we didn't understand what it needed for installation. Our rig doesn't have a ladder. Is there something else to attache it to on top or is the 3M suggestion based on it standing independent of any other support?

Thanks! This is our first post, so if we've posted this in the wrong place, please let us know.

William

Sebastopol, CA
2015 View 24G

lou Thomson

I have the weboost drive reach with the OTR antenna I dont use it all the time so when i stop  i use suction mount and run the cord through the slideout where there is space, deploy when I need it take it down when I dont similar to these pictures, with no ladder this might be a solution that works I use pvc pipe though so its lite..09VJ https://nerdtechy.com/weboost-connect-rv-65-review

Tom

I mounted mine on the ladder and ran the cable into  a small hole drilled in the top of the outside corner post, down inside the post and under the chassis and entered where the other power wiring enters under the bed. the booster is mounted under the sink making it with just enough wire.

TomF 13NV

Dunc 18ND W.CO

Outside antenna on ladder, cable routed through roof solar combiner box into equipment compartment above refrigerator with easy power access there, cabling to interior antenna routed above sink, and interior antenna on counter top next to entry door. Powered cell phone cradle is there so it receives the boosted signal very strong.
--
Dunc, W.CO, 2018 N24D
800W Solar, 10kWh Tesla Coach

ERH

Very similar to how ours routing.  we have a 24j so routed behind tv where inverter pwr is.
Earl

Sent from my Sprint Samsung Galaxy® Note 4.