Topics

Solar wiring 17VV

Rick 17VV

Our coach didn’t come with solar installed but there’s wiring up behind the one place. Where does it come out? Battery area or somewhere else? Have seen it down there yet.
--
Rick
17VV

Michael Powers

My NV17 came with solar. Wiring came in from the roof just above the refrigerator and towards the middle Of the RV from the radio antenna about one foot. Another set of wires from solar Controller goes down to the batteries.

On Sep 29, 2020, at 5:55 PM, Rick 17VV <rreynolds51@...> wrote:

Our coach didn’t come with solar installed but there’s wiring up behind the one place. Where does it come out? Battery area or somewhere else? Have seen it down there yet.
--
Rick
17VV

Rick 17VV

Yes. I have the wire above the fridge that goes from one side not connected to anything.  There's another set of wires that goes down somewhere, I suspect the battery but didn't see them down there. Trying to figure out where they come out but suspect its somewhere under the passenger seat. Just trying to verify, I hate pulling the seat!!
--
Rick
17VV

Dunc 18ND W.CO

The solar charging system circuit breaker is normally located under the passenger seat. I don't know if breaker is installed when solar systems are not installed, but there you go. You should start this project with the wiring diagram for your vehicle from the Winnebago website. The seat is very easy to remove, but does require an Allen wrench.
--
Dunc, W.CO, 2018 N24D
800W Solar, 10kWh Tesla Coach

Rick 17VV

No breaker but I figured it must go there since its not in the battery box. I find the wiring diagrams a mess on the website but will look again. I didn't see any breakers but the wires must be there somewhere. Seat isn't difficult but heavy for us older guys. LOL. I think there are torx bolts but I have a socket.
--
Rick
17VV

MichiganView

Hi Mike -

The link below may or may not be of help to answer your question. While exploring inside cabinets and panels in our then new V12J I discovered several relatively heavy electrical wiring segments, which appeared to be pre-installed for either solar and/or an inverter? I am still curious if these wires and/or connectors look familiar to members who have solar or an inverter. Our 2012 VJ did not come equipped with either, since back then they were in their RV infancy. Their are several photos from my tech photo album…  Bill  V12J  MI

M Powers wrote:

"My NV17 came with solar. Wiring came in from the roof just above the refrigerator and towards the middle Of the RV from the radio antenna about one foot. Another set of wires from solar Controller goes down to the batteries.”

Dunc 18ND W.CO

Take seat out in two pieces. 1. Seat, 2. Pedestal. I am girly armed 70 y.o. and it wasn't that bad. Be sure to note how all mounts together for proper alignment of all components when reassembling.

I suggest you use a breaker that can also be manually operated if you need to buy one.
--
Dunc, W.CO, 2018 N24D
800W Solar, 10kWh Tesla Coach
Gyrocopter Toad

Rick 17VV

Found a loose 8g wire with black tape on the end and no markings. No green but suspect they just use chassis ground. I will have to verify it at some point. Good place for a breaker for the solar also. So I guess connect the wire after the disconnect solenoid when solar is hot so its not present when coach power is disconnected. Also noticed the disconnect solenoid seems to not make contact every time. Anyone else have an issue with this? I notice my coach battery was charging and traced the wire all the way to the solenoid, clicked it a couple of times and all is good. Ugh. More ghosts to chase away. All of this is a pain but from this group and exploring on my own I've learned a lot about my coach. Thanks to everyone for the patience and understanding.
--
Rick
17VV

Darel Palm

The connection for the pre-wired solar is the wire above the frig and it goes under the passenger seat.  There is a large black wire under the seat that is not connected. That is the solar source to the battery.  It is terminated in the last circuit breaker position on the left looking at the circuit breakers under the passenger seat.  If there isn't a circuit breaker in place, you will need to get one and install in the last opening on the left.  Mine was labeled "solar".  From there terminate on the house battery side of the battery tie relay.  I took the front bolts out of the seat bracket and one of the rear seat bracket bolts out.  When the last rear bolt is loose, the seat ban be rotated so you can remove the paper cover under the seat.  You will then have access to what you need to terminate.  When done, just put the paper cover back, and rotate the seat back to position and torque the bolts.  No heavy lifting required.

I hope this makes sense to you and helps.

Darel

"18VG in South Dakota for a few more days then on to TX for the winter

Michael Powers

Darrel,

That makes sense. Where is the negative wire run to? I just did some repair on the solar system in my 17NV and replaced the upper roof top distribution box. All wires connected on the roof were loose, Zamp sent me the distribution box at no charge, and just want to understand where all the wires go for future reference.

By the way when I contacted Zamp for support they were very helpful and assisted with troubleshooting their solar system. What a great company. Sent me the roof top distribution box at no charge.  This resolved all my issues with solar. Good tech support and very responsive. Give them a call if you have questions and are planning on using their products.

On Sep 30, 2020, at 6:53 PM, Darel Palm via groups.io <djponthego@...> wrote:

[...]

Dick Stevenson

Hi Michael,
Agreed. I have had good experiences with Zamp: they answer their phone with a human, no phone tree and the people are knowledgeable and helpful. Those habits mean a lot to me.
My best, Dick Stevenson