Topics

Starting diesel Generator on a hill

Rick 17VV

Anyone have issues starting their diesel gen set when parked at an angle with rear of coach higher than front? That puts the fuel tank lower and forces the fuel to go up hill. Generator ran fine when we were on flat area but won't start now. Seems like it isn't getting fuel. Figure I'll move it out of the driveway on flat ground and try it but was wondering if others had issues or do I have another problem.
--
Rick
17VV

waydigs

I don't think that diesel can "run downhill" since it is a closed system and if it could run downhill you would be having a leak.  How much fuel is in  your tank?
Wayne ';16 "V"

lou Thomson

Id be more worried about the oil level most generators have a stop switch in case they run low on oil and are not able to run safely at an angle...

Rick 17VV

No oil warning lights. Driveway is a little steep but not as bad as
some I've seen. I suspect where the pickup tube for the gen set fuel
must be to low or the float is at to much of an angle to start it..I
think if I ever got it started it might run fine but since its been
parked for two weeks the fuel might have run the other way.

Rick L Reynolds