Topics

Survey - only for LiFePo4 battery owners using direct alternator connect via stock boost solenoid

old_b4_my_time

First of all I'd like to thank any participants but also I need to limit this thread to only people who have installed between 2-4 (80-120aH) lithium DIR (drop in replacement) style batteries and who have NOT installed any kind of device, commonly known as a B2B (battery to battery) charger or DC2DC charger and who are managing their banks with direct connection to the alternator via the factory "boost solenoid".    I am also gathering information from other RV groups for Class C owners as well, so in other words if you don't have a V/N and do have other Class C experience with this same 2-4 LiFePo4 DIR battery setup on a MH with a Sprinter chassis, I'd also be interested.

There are many publications online describing the reasons one would chose additional equipment and alternative methods for charging via the alternator which I ask in this particular thread to refrain from discussing.  I'd also like to re-state that this IS NOT A DEBATE BUT A SURVEY.   Thank you in advance.

Qualifications for information:
  • installed and using 2-4 DIR lithium (LiFePo4) "12V" battery boxes with internal BMS
  • Direct alternator charging via "boost solenoid" only
  • Battery monitor or relatively accurate amperage meter used to sample charge current (amps)

Battery manufacturer (LiFePo4 ONLY):  _____________
Lowest state of charge you have recovered (started charging) from _______
Comments on conditions during measurement ______________________________________________
     Amperage reading feeding battery bank immediately after cold engine crank _____
     Amperage reading feeding battery after 10 minutes _______
     Amperage reading feeding battery after 20 minutes _______
     Amperage reading feeding battery after 30 minutes _______
     Any amperage readings taken after initial 30 minutes __________________________

Typical or other states of charge you have recovered (started charging) from _______
Comments on conditions during measurement ______________________________________________
     Amperage reading feeding battery bank immediately after cold engine crank _____
     Amperage reading feeding battery after 10 minutes _______
     Amperage reading feeding battery after 20 minutes _______
     Amperage reading feeding battery after 30 minutes _______
     Any amperage readings taken after initial 30 minutes __________________________

Feel free to expand the input areas above with any relevant information.

Again no opinions or suggestions please on using other methods or no pointing out errors in how people have set their systems up.  Keep the comments civil and to repeat I am personally not interested in tangent comments, especially off-topic ones  - only data.   To posters who use this method of direct charging, do not feel any exposure for sharing your setups.   My effort is solely to support you and to gain your experience.   Each of us has our own reasons for our installation strategies.    Thank you in advance.