Topics

Tires !!

I need new ones due to age (i have the original Continentals - 10 yrs old).  Two reputable tire places want to sell me BF Goodrich or Firestone, but the online reviews are not good :(   Online reviews say that KUMO are good however all reviews are for vehicles other than motorhomes   -  so wondering what others View\Navion owners out there have discovered as far as what tires are good,  thanks  11K VA

waydigs

Dan;
I don't mean to preach, but 10 year old tires are just a disaster.  Get rid of them ASAP before you have a blow-out and kill someone or yourself.
Wayne'16 V

Steve

Michelin Agilis Crossclimate.

Glenn Franco

Yes I agree! By the way I am replacing my Michelins that only have 38,000 miles on them but checking the date code they were manufactured in 2004. They are just starting to check on the sidewalls. Gee they almost have full tread depth left. I had the same issue with my 35ft Bounder. They not only checked but the sidewalls actually split at a less age then on my Navion.
Our new used Navion was mostly stored indoors so the UV damage was not quite so bad after 14+  years.
Glenn 06 23H

On Mon, Aug 17, 2020 at 12:03 PM waydigs <diggsmail44@...> wrote:
Dan;
I don't mean to preach, but 10 year old tires are just a disaster.  Get rid of them ASAP before you have a blow-out and kill someone or yourself.
Wayne'16 V

Glenn Franco

I'm purchasing a set (6) of BFG Commercial load range E tires tomorrow. I put them on my 07 Dodge Dually Diesel a couple years ago. The only issue with them was noise. Not the most quiet tires.
Glenn 06 Navion 23H

On Mon, Aug 17, 2020 at 12:09 PM Steve via groups.io <slarson1942=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Michelin Agilis Crossclimate.

paisleydale

I replaced my original Continentals (wore out with 31,000 miles on them) with Toyo HT. These now have 51,500 miles and I will replace them with Toyo HT @ Discount Tire next spring. Just my .02.

Dale
2014 VP 24v
OR

JPS

I'd buy either Michlin or Cooper. Also if you join FMCA or WIT they have a tire discount program on Michlin and possibly others. I would investigate Tire Rack as well.  Jim 07VH FLOH

On Mon, Aug 17, 2020 at 11:35 AM <dan.collogan@...> wrote:
I need new ones due to age (i have the original Continentals - 10 yrs old).  Two reputable tire places want to sell me BF Goodrich or Firestone, but the online reviews are not good :(   Online reviews say that KUMO are good however all reviews are for vehicles other than motorhomes   -  so wondering what others View\Navion owners out there have discovered as far as what tires are good,  thanks  11K VA

Louie S

I went with Michelin LTX. Don’t forget the valve stems too.

If you have any valve extensions be sure to any gaskets. I didn’t and ended up with a nearly flat rear out in the middle of the Hopi Reservation due to a slow leak. We had to drive very carefully for quite a distance to find service with a compressor.

Thankfully the local Discount Tire shop where I purchased the tires was extremely helpful in diagnosing and fixing the problem. The Dually extenders specify a max torque so I had to purchase a small torque wrench for them to use.

another piece to add to my equipment list is a 12 volt tire pump.

-louie
--
2010 View J

ken seigle

Les Schwab told me DOT has no timeline. As long as no checks, dry rot, or bulges, good to go.
Ken06 NH

On Monday, August 17, 2020, 09:03:26 AM PDT, waydigs <diggsmail44@...> wrote:

Dan;
I don't mean to preach, but 10 year old tires are just a disaster.  Get rid of them ASAP before you have a blow-out and kill someone or yourself.
Wayne'16 V

Glenn Franco

I would agree with that statement. Much of these timelines are tire marketing ploys. I have heard of some tire stores refusing to rebalance tires more than a certain age. As long as the tires are kept out of the sun and environment they will generally last. I pulled a set of Michelins ZX's off my TR6 that spent more time in the garage than on the road and put them on My W124 Mercedes 300D and drove them lots of miles before selling the car. They were over 20 years old and never showed any checking.
In the case of the motor homes I have owned, The 35ft Bounder had Michelins on it that checked and the side walls actually split. I replaced them with another set of Michelins at that point. Had to hold my nose but I did it anyways..
The 2006 Navion has a date code of 2004 so at 16 years and all the sidewalls are checking I decided to bite the bullet and replace with BFG Commercial Tires same as I put on my Dodge Diesel Dually.
Early on in my career my desk mate was a long time Wheel/Tire durability engineer and I asked him about tire sidewall checking and he replied that is was just cosmetic. So I loaded up wife and kids in our minivan and drove 5,000 to Las Vegas and back. No problems.
Since I have experienced Michelin Tire delamination I'm not taking any chances as those tires are getting heavier and heavier to change especially on the side of the freeway.
Glenn 06 Navion 23H

On Mon, Aug 17, 2020 at 2:17 PM ken seigle via groups.io <kenseigle=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Les Schwab told me DOT has no timeline. As long as no checks, dry rot, or bulges, good to go.
Ken06 NH

On Monday, August 17, 2020, 09:03:26 AM PDT, waydigs <diggsmail44@...> wrote:

Dan;
I don't mean to preach, but 10 year old tires are just a disaster.  Get rid of them ASAP before you have a blow-out and kill someone or yourself.
Wayne'16 V

sstadler19

I love Michelins due to the exceptional wear of the tread and the sidewall. Also, the company gives top notch service. The one time I thought my Defenders wore a little soon I ended up getting a 50% break on four tires with just a simple call to that warranty department. Nice to have such backing.

Scott
08H

On 08/17/2020 8:29 AM dan.collogan@... wrote:

I need new ones due to age (i have the original Continentals - 10 yrs old).  Two reputable tire places want to sell me BF Goodrich or Firestone, but the online reviews are not good :(   Online reviews say that KUMO are good however all reviews are for vehicles other than motorhomes   -  so wondering what others View\Navion owners out there have discovered as far as what tires are good,  thanks  11K VA

Ken Carleno <kencarleno@...>

I am on my second set of BFG Commercial T/As and have had excellent results (6 years/42K mi), particularly when compared to the original Continentals.  My first set came from a tire dealer that maintained a fleet of 20 Sprinter delivery trucks and BFG Commercial T/As is all he used for them.  According to him, BFGs are made by Michelin but are much less expensive; maybe don't last as many miles, but most RV tires age out. Bought the second set from Discount Tire. I don't have any input on Firestones

Ken in Scottsdale 08NH

THANKS MUCH !!  this info extremely helpful,  all the reviews online were on vehicles other than RV's and i felt it important to hear from someone running on a View or Navion  -thanks again

Dan Booher

Slightly off topic I hope you don't mind. I talked to my  local tire shop  and when removing the rear wheels to replace the tires they  will lift the rig with the jacking points, to get the weight of the house off of the axle. Then lift the axle itself, with no weight on it to remove  rear wheels. This they say is preferred so they don't have to lift the whole rig so far and have the axel hanging  in order to get the wheels off. Seems reasonable to me, is this acceptable?
BTW I'm going with Michelin Agilis in about 4k miles. Just looking ahead.
2016 NJ

retfeds@...

My BFG Commercial T/A tires have been excellent. They are quiet and give a comfortable ride. After 6.5 years and about 35,000 miles, there is no noticeable wear and only some light checking on the sidewalls. I will replace them with the same tires when needed.
--
Skip
07VH

MichiganView

Our Conti tires gave us about 47K uncomfortable miles — then I bought a set of Firestone Transforce H/T all seasons. Wow - what an improvement in ride and stability! based on the 11-12k miles we have put on these - I would buy them again. It should be mentioned for novice owners - when our 2012 VJ was new the MB valve stems were less than adequate with a 60-65 psi rating with tires rated at 80 psi. It was sort of like having a mountain climbing rope rated to hold exactly your static weight - even for emergency situations. Why would you ever need a rope which was rated to hold your weight? Hmmm - in case of a long fall, abrasion against objects over time, wear and tear, etc. It is not a good idea to test our MB hypothesis while you and your loved ones are cruising at 70mph and have a rear dually blow out. Nuf said. I know lots of member will attempt to take issue with this — seen that before — I’m simply trying to save lives. So I also had new XHP 100psi stems installed along with safety Gator caps on all valve stems. Happy Trails! Bill V12J MI

Bob Skirvin

I went from original Continentals to Transforce which was an improvement. Then from the Firestones to Michelins which was a bigger improvement. And stayed with Michelins for my latest "round" of tires. My opinion is if you're going to spend four figures on new tires, why not the best. About $1300 at Costco out the door. Bob 06VH

On Tue, Aug 18, 2020, 6:23 AM michiganview <deepthinkers@...> wrote:
[...]

Dunc 18ND W.CO

Where do I find recommended factory pressures per tire load weight for Continentals?

What is the usual weight distribution % fore/aft on "empty" VN? With full freshwater tank?
--
Dunc, W.CO, 2018 N24D
800W Solar, 10kWh Tesla Coach

Glenn Franco

FYI Costco will not install tires on Motorhomes. I just checked last week. Also Just had a set of BFG Commercial T/A's installed on my 06 Navion at Discount Tire. Nice quiet ride compared to the old Michelins.
Beware of tire stores lifting your Sprinter Incorrectly and causing possible Damage to the suspension. I had to school Discount Tire in Brighton, Michigan how to lift the vehicle using their floor jacks which by the way at 3 1/2 tons would not raise the thing high enough to get the tires off. They had to get the 10 ton jacks out.
I will start a post that shows the proper lift points for the TN1 Sprinters. You don't lift them by the front control arms or rear axle tubes.
There are specific lift points on the unibody frame. The front just behind the trans crossmember and the rear at the front leaf spring bracket. I had to show them the service manual publication to prove it and it went over their heads. I had to raise holy hell to get them to lift it correctly.
Glenn 06 Navion 23H with 38k

On Tue, Aug 18, 2020 at 11:19 AM Dunc 18ND W.CO <n185ra@...> wrote:
Where do I find recommended factory pressures per tire load weight for Continentals?

What is the usual weight distribution % fore/aft on "empty" VN? With full freshwater tank?
--
Dunc, W.CO2018 N24D
800W Solar, 10kWh Tesla Coach
Gyrocopter Toad

Paul Rouis

In theory if you have the original equipment tires the suggested pressure on the door should be based on the GAWR at a minimum.

This is from the Continental website if that helps you confirm your decision.

Paul

07VJNY

Currently running Goodyear HT at 64-65 psi