Topics

TPMS questions

Dick Stevenson

Hi all,
How many of us are using a tire pressure monitoring system and is there a preferred type/manufacturer? Thanks, Dick

Doug 17 Via T

We are using a Truck System Technologies TPMS mounted on Borg stems (TM-507SE). I went with cap sensors with replaceable batteries. Our motorhomes are short enough that a repeater should not be needed to pick up the signals from the rear sensors. I didn't chose the flow-through sensors because that seemed like yet another point of potential failure. I know that other View/Via owners have made other choices, probably with good results, but I am happy with the choice that I made.

Doug in OR
17ViaT

Daryl Briten

We just installed the Borg Stems with the tireMinder Smart System. Very pleased with it. We actually had one bad sensor and I called the company. Had a new one at out door in three days. They were very helpful. Also, Borg helped me to choose what I needed from a Picture of our wheels and then referred us to the closest tire company they recommended to do the installation . All in all, it was pretty easy with everyone’s help!!

Stephen Dasaro

Been using tire minder for three years and wouldn’t be without it.

From Stephen Dasaro

On Sep 26, 2020, at 3:28 PM, Dick Stevenson <alchemy128@...> wrote:

Hi all,
How many of us are using a tire pressure monitoring system and is there a preferred type/manufacturer? Thanks, Dick

younglr98

Been using Tiretraker for 7 years.
Mostly reliable. A few false alarms. Company support incredible!
Wouldn’t be without them. 200 psi metal std stems. Fill tires once a year. Roger 07VJ E WA

James Selm

I installed Truck Systems Technologies (TST) over 10 years ago. They have worked to my satisfaction. Would I buy again? Yes  Jim 07VH FLOH

On Sat, Sep 26, 2020 at 6:32 PM Stephen Dasaro <sdasaro785@...> wrote:
Been using tire minder for three years and wouldn’t be without it.

From Stephen Dasaro

On Sep 26, 2020, at 3:28 PM, Dick Stevenson <alchemy128@...> wrote:

Hi all,
How many of us are using a tire pressure monitoring system and is there a preferred type/manufacturer? Thanks, Dick

Larry Smith

I wound not recommend RVi tire patrol. I have had multiple issues with the sensors not working or staying connected to the hub over the last three years. The tablet that comes with the system is junk. I am about to call them to see if there is a resolution (i doubt it) or purchase one of the systems you all recommend.

old_b4_my_time

On Sat, Sep 26, 2020 at 12:28 PM, Dick Stevenson wrote:
How many of us are using a tire pressure monitoring system
I am still using the primitive method of checking with a tire-bat and tread IR-temp measurement on various stops and then I use a tire gauge if one's thump sounds suspect or tread is running over about 120F.   I worry that until these sensors get to a very small profile with more advanced technology approaching lighter-weight with long battery life (lithium LOL), I worry over the exposure of the weight and vibration they may cause to the valve stems.   I also tend to be a bit of a Luddite at least in the tire pressure department and follow the truck driver's lead and after some research it appears that many fleets are now moving recently toward TPMS systems.  Still there's many many tire-thumpers still rolling the highways.  What I've noticed in commercial bus lines over the past 4-5 years is that the majority seem to be using ATIS systems which use the vehicles air-brake supply to constantly inflate the tires to the appropriate level.  Of course that's not a good option for us.   Still today I would be most comfortable personally with the units that have the sensors inside the tire but they are quite expensive but do make the most sense other than when you consider swapping out batteries means all the tires have to be unmounted with each swap..

So I'm still waiting for the next generation of smaller and lighter-weight valve sensors before adopting even thought the expensive inner-rim sensor style seems more logical. (Of course knowing my luck it would come unmounted and start beating the inside of the tire and creating a hole.)   I did a short amount of research on this topic just now because I'm also interested and it appears the truckers forums are full of the same misleading information that all other news sources consist of today, with only opinions and little truth in the absence of actual unbiased research on what is best, leaving us all at the mercy of those with the biggest marketing budgets.   Anyway here is a general idea of some more white-washed data on what the trucking industry is doing if that would be of any help .... https://www.ttnews.com/articles/fleets-must-choose-tire-inflation-monitoring-systems-work-best-their-operations-industry  In the mean time I'm going to hold out just a bit longer.    I've been so, so, so very lucky in the hellish terrain that I have experienced over the past 4 years to not have had any kind of issue that I did not catch in time with my tire-bat and IR temp gun.   But I'm sure all good luck eventually wears thin.

JPS

If you have to purchase an alternative system I think TST still offers "Skinny Winnys" a 10% discount if you mention that you are a participant. Jim07 VH FLOH

On Mon, Sep 28, 2020 at 10:50 AM Larry Smith via groups.io <larrysmith_44=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
I wound not recommend RVi tire patrol. I have had multiple issues with the sensors not working or staying connected to the hub over the last three years. The tablet that comes with the system is junk. I am about to call them to see if there is a resolution (i doubt it) or purchase one of the systems you all recommend.

David Seeds

Don, I too am a thumper/temperature and visual (look at the inside of the duals where they meet the road). I started rv ing in 1963 and never had a tire issue that required service on the road.

May I digress; my greatest tire issue was ply separation on a 1967 El Camino with a cab over pickup camper.
You said your luck has been holding out, my 83 yrs. tells me luck usually is when preparation meets opportunity.
Dave, V, J, Profile, I-4, north Fl. (currently in repair)

Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPad