Topics

Why is this 12 v socket too small to use?

Don Stewart

Can anyone explain why this 12 v socket is too small for a standard plug?  This is in the wall plate that has the antenna amplifier switch and antenna output connector on it

it looks like a standard cigarette lighter socket, but it is too small to fit a standard 12 v plug in.   Is there a special connector for use with this socket?  Is this some special Winnebago thing?
--
08 N iQ WA 55k

Don Stewart

Oops!  The original message had a photo attached, but it didn’t go through. I will try to figure out how to do this
--
08 N iQ WA 55k

Don Stewart

Here is the photo:

--
08 N iQ WA 55k

Nigebirch

Why Winnebago did this, we don't know.  It was this way in the 2007, too.  I blew a couple of fuses forcing a plug into it.  I finally went to the Yahoo forum and asked pretty much the same question you're asking... "What's with this 12-volt outlet?"  Byron responded and said they put in a 'too small' outlet and didn't know why.  I guess you could replace it with one that is of normal size.  (I never did replace mine, just quit using it after I got a 10' extension cord for the dinette 12-volt outlet and used that until I sold my unit last year.  I still have that extension cord which comes in handy since there no longer is a dinette outlet, nor is there a 12-volt outlet near the amplifier.  Fortunately, there are two in the cab, one 'always on,' the other 'on with the ignition.')

Dorrin 2019D

old_b4_my_time

I don't know off hand what the back looks like but maybe one of these would allow you to replace the too-small socket.  If the socket part of this is not removable, perhaps you can start over with a blank face-plate and drill out the proper holes.   I am sure the circuit board is physically attached somehow to the rear but silicon might hold it in place if you had to go that far by replacing the entire face-plate.   At minimum you may have to remove the circuit board while you drill a larger hole and perhaps use a drill press so things don't slip and then offset the hole for the larger assembly away from the area where the circuit board resides so not  to encroach on the area of the circuit board https://www.ebay.com/itm/12V-Car-Boat-Motorcycle-Cigarette-Lighter-Socket-Power-Plug-Outlet-Waterproof/402245405187.    Anyway this is all I can come up with.  I moved my amp to the back of the closet in the J right where the antenna feed comes down above the microwave, deeding the amp directly from that lead and then just past the amp it feeds a splitter and then it's directed to feed both the TV in the dining area and also the one on the wall at the foot of the bed. So I haven't even tried to use this outlet, only use the amp.

Note that you can take matters into your own hands and provide the much needed additional outlets around the coach for various things like chargers and fans.  I put one above the J dinette to replace where the amp was originally , one near the lamp in the overhead bunk https://www.ebay.com/itm/12V-24V-DC-Female-Car-Charger-Outlet-Lighter-Socket-Plug-Connector-Adapter-Cable/383323563022 , and at the foot of the bed https://www.ebay.com/itm/Magnadyne-WC-12V-W-RV-Wall-Mount-2-USB-Charging-Ports-12V-Power-Outlet-White/162635854949?epid=8039630918 .   I ran 12 AWG wire fused by a 15A direct for the foot of the bed which powers a laptop booster-converter https://www.ebay.com/itm/Prime-Products-08-5010-12V-Universal-Utility-Outlet/274367554725 ., a couple above the bed   Also it's a good idea to run a separate fused wire from these to the battery or load center unless you use it only for light loads such as fans, chargers, etc.   A laptop converter will sometimes pull more than the 12V circuit you tie into so you may need a separate circuit when you install it.

Anyway this is an idea on how to resolve the problem and not much help on the "why".   If I was guessing the "why", I bet they bought them from a Chinese vendor and never tried them out until they had put them in too many coaches to recall for a simple wall adapter.   Still that's not much help to  owners.

retfeds@...

I found one that fit a few years ago. I measured the opening then searched until I found one small enough. It is still a very tight fit so I leave it plugged in all the time. I have two pigtails with standard size sockets attached to the plug.
--
Skip
07VH

Don Stewart

Thank you all. What a wealth of information! I will probably just look for a smaller plug, but all of the ideas have merit

On Aug 16, 2020, at 10:47 AM, retfeds via groups.io <retfeds=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

I found one that fit a few years ago. I measured the opening then searched until I found one small enough. It is still a very tight fit so I leave it plugged in all the time. I have two pigtails with standard size sockets attached to the plug.
--
Skip
07VH
East TN

<9AC3B028-C2E6-4271-8303-11DF1F7D7DFC.jpeg>
--
08 N iQ WA 55k

Don Stewart

I solved my problem by getting out the calipers and measuring all of my 12 v plugs. Most of them were 20-21 mm in diameter, but I found one that was 19 mm in diameter, and this did fit in the narrow socket, though it was a tight fit.

The plug that fit was attached to two 22 mm sockets and had a couple of USB sockets, too  So, this will work fine for me

--
08 N iQ WA 55k