Topics

Winnabego 171547-01 outdoor speaker replacement

Peter Kielstra

Has anyone attempted to replace the two outdoor speakers on the Navion View 24J?  I am about to purchase two new Jensen MS5006B speakers and would like to better understand the removal (existing defective speakers) and installation (new speakers) process.

Peter
2011 Itasca Navion View 24J

gstine29@...

We replaced the two speakers on our 2010 View 24P back in 2013 after I found the speaker cones were seriously broken with a pair of marine grade Polk speakers..  Most likely your 24J replacement will be similar.  I think the Jensens you reference are marine grade so that will definitely be an upgrade.  Removal of the speakers was fairly easy.  I carefully cut the calking from around the speaker and pried off the speaker covers.  A quick view confirmed the speaker cones were destroyed.  After removing the screws, I found the speaker bases were also calked in place.  This removal was a bit harder, but finally, I was able to remove the speaker with minimal damage to the fiberglass side.  The speakers were just mounted into a cavity where the wall styrofoam had been cut out so I picked up a pair of 5 1/4-in slim speaker baffles from Crutchfield that fit my new speakers.  The connectors to the old speakers were corroded, so I just cut them off and soldered the wires to the new speakers.  I scrunched the baffles into the cavity and installed the new speakers.  Speaker baffles are supposed to improve the sound, but given how destroyed the existing speakers were even putting the new speakers in without the baffles would have been a major improvement.  I did not have to enlarge the speaker cavities as my new speakers were the same size as the old speakers.  I did have to drill new mounting holes and trimmed the excess baffle flange around the speakers and calked the speaker in place.  Then snapped on the speaker cover and used clear calk around the cover to keep out the water.  The new sound was substantial better.  I also replaced the sub-woofer inside the coach.  7 years later they still sound good to these old ears.  Good luck.  It is a mod definitely worth does.

Gary
2010 View 24P

Dale Lucas

Peter,
I have replaced ours just this year.
Besides the screws, the existing ones are stuck on with some kind of sticky tape.
You may find that you have to slip a putty knife between the speaker flange and the couch exterior wall.
I used a plastic blade in an attempt to not damage the finish.
If I were to do it again I would have taped over the exterior finish for a little extra protection.
Once the old speakers are out you will notice to your horror that there is nothing between the interior of your couch and the outside world but some thin speaker material (that probably gets pumped back and forth ever time a door or the slide opens or closes.
In an attempt to put a real barrier between the interior and the outside, I cut out some mylar faced bubble insulation and calked it into the back of the speaker holes.
On the J model the forward speaker hole opens up to the back of the upper cabinet, so I installed a small plywood patch on the back.
To install the new ones I used silicon sealant (black is available, as our new speakers are white I used white).
Lastly, I changed out the mounting screws to stainless, hand tighten only as it would be extremely easy to strip out the screw hole in the fiber siding.
That's about it,
Dale
12 J
Las Cruces, NM

On Friday, October 16, 2020, 10:46:19 AM MDT, Peter Kielstra <peterjkielstra@...> wrote:

Has anyone attempted to replace the two outdoor speakers on the Navion View 24J?  I am about to purchase two new Jensen MS5006B speakers and would like to better understand the removal (existing defective speakers) and installation (new speakers) process.

Peter
2011 Itasca Navion View 24J

LED

I replaced mine about 4 years ago with the same part number from Winnebago.  It was an easy repair,  use a utility knife to loosen the rtv and a screwdriver to remove the speakers.  Once you pull the speakers out you’ll see the connectors on the backside. Reverse procedure to reinstall and reseal with rtv.
Sidenote: I damaged mine with the power washer so once you replace them take care when washing.

   Larry
2010 Nav 24k NJ

sstadler19

Please tell is about the sub woofer replace, especially which speaker you replaced it with.   Mine sounds too muffled to have a real sub impact

Scott
08H

On 10/16/2020 11:45 AM Dale Lucas via groups.io <da_lucas@...> wrote:

[...]

Thank you Gary, Dale, Larry and Scott for your advice.  I have purchased the new speakers and have a pretty good idea on how to make the swap.
Cheers,
Peter
2011 Navion 24J