Topics

Wiring and cable routing

Matt Praz

Before I go drilling holes and making my own path does anyone know an existing route of cables from under the passenger seat to the battery box and or house? Right now just have to get a couple of small gauge wire through. Eventually will need to run a couple of # 6 and or 8’s for a DC to DC charger.

Matt Prazenka
20ND
Highland Park, IL
--
Matthew Prazenka
mattprazen@...

Dunc 18ND W.CO

I used the existing wire from the chassis battery through the coach battery box and associated inline fuse that went to the inverter - I think! This now powers my Victron Orion 12V to 24V lithium battery charger mounted inside the right forward bay where my electronics are all mounted.

I recall the wire channel under the driver seat proved impossible to access for more wires.

Hope this helps.
--
Dunc, W.CO, 2018 N24D
800W Solar, 10kWh Tesla Coach

old_b4_my_time

Are you planning to use a DC2DC charger to isolate perhaps a lithium battery bank from direct attachment to your alternator?   If so, you should be able to disconnect at the boost solenoid terminals and run in and out of the DC2DC and not have to run any extra wires, assuming there's enough space under the seat for it. However, if you have a factory supplied inverter and you are installing a 24V or 48V lithium system to replace the old 12V battery bank, you will need a new inverter based on the voltage of the lithium bank if it is other than 12V.      There are other concerns with how to handle the wiring of the boost solenoid when using a DC2DC charger, namely the situation where breaking the direct connection at the boost solenoid and substituting a DC2DC will cause you to lose the option to "boost" (electronically "jump start") any longer, particularly if you've gone from a 12V house bank to 24V or higher a "boost" is no longer an option.   Not sure how the "pros" get around this but I would be curious to see a schematic.

Otherwise on my older J model I have a large hole about a 2" in diameter where a wiring harness goes through the floor under the seat.  I just poked out some excess dark colored "crazy foam" and ran my wires out and near the route of the existing cable raceway but on top of the gas tank.  Then I used some foam to re-seal that hole when I was done.   (Don't leave anything open here because mice and ants love this open door.)